Hi! I'm very excited to be here ;)

elbieregan

Hello,

Two years ago, I saw a listing on kijiji (buy/sell site) for a tortoise. I am a teacher and I have the privilege of being able to have peys in my classroom. Turtles and tortoises fascinate me! They have such personalities! <3

At the time, I naively went off the word of his previous owner, and in hindsight, may have bit off more than I can chew. Wallace is a sulcata... I have since also came to the realisation that he's found an excellent home and I strive to give him his best, despite the challenge we face being in a cool, canadian climate.

He has a large pen (4' x 8') with a hide away box where he can dig, along with heat lamps and full spectrum lamps. During the winter, he gets to cruise around my classroom daily. He loves to stretch his legs and smell my students' feet (he's a little too interested in red toenail polish lol).

He spends the summer days outside where we live on a farm. He looks surprisingly like a pile of horse manure when he's at a distance!

When my husband and I build a new house in the next year or so, Wallace will get his own room with a walk out sunroom. We adore this tortoise and he is definitely part of the family.

I'm trying to give him all possible requirements for his health.

He came to us with pyramiding. We are his third owners; his first, I'm told, ignorantly fed him nothing but dog food. He now gets mainly timothy in the winter and I'm going to try growing grass inside this winter.

So that's why we're here. To learn how to keep Wallace happy for years to come! <3

I look forward to learning from you all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) We do love pics here:D Sounds like Wallace found a great forever home. It's harder to have tortoises in the colder climate areas, but it can be done and they can be happy and thrive.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. We are also excited to have you here.

elbieregan

1410378457067.jpg Here are some of pictures of Wallace. (including his Halloween costume and his indoor pen.) I wasn't sure if a collage would show up properly or not...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, he has some pretty bad pyramiding that most likely accompanied MBD, but it looks like he's doing quite ok now.

Welcome to the forum!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I believe it stands for metabolic bone disease. I hope someone with computer skills can get you a link or try searching this site for more info.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES