Hi...Im new here!! Would love some help if possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejmarshall26

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I want to get a tortoise, Ive researched on diet, indoor and outdoor housing etc but Im really stuck on which tortoise to get and would really appreciate some opinions if possible.

I would like a tortoise that is going to stay relatively small...no bigger than 10" ideally when fully grown, but what im really after is one that has plenty of personality and character.
Ive been looking at the Herman and Horsefield tortoise, they both stay small and are lovely, but which is the most active??

I have never owned a tortoise before so any help would be very much appreciated. I want to be sure I know as much as possible before I go out and buy my little man :) soooo excited!! :tort:

Than

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Both the Russian and the Hermanns are great choices. The personality is really up to the individual tortoise with how it is cared for coming also into play. Myself, I like Hermanns better then Russians, but that's just a personal choice.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
MY vote's with NEal on the indian star too!!!! and nope.. it's nothing to do with the fact that I have 2.. hehehe Btw welcome to the forum.. and dun worry.. it'll be love at first sight (with your future torts I mean)

ejmarshall26

5 Year Member
Hi Jacqui,

Thank you!
I have been leaning more towards the Hermanns, but I popped into a reptile shop today to have a look at what they had available and the lady was telling me that Hermanns were not at all active, so it threw me off a little.
But what youre saying does make sense in connection with how they are cared for :)

Thanks for getting back to me,
Emma x

ejmarshall26

5 Year Member
Thanks Neal and Dagashi!!

I was really considering the Indian Star, but I cant seem to find a breeder here in the UK. I have emailed one guy but had no reply :(
This was my first choice but to get one in the UK seems to be a real mission...I cant even seem to find out the price, but im guessing they will be on the expensive side...which i dont mind, because they are gorgeous.

So how big do the Indian Star Tortoises get? Are they relatively small?
Also, I live in Mid Wales, not the best weather, would an Indian Star be ok indoors majority of the time?

Thanks for your help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Than:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ejmarshall26 said:
So how big do the Indian Star Tortoises get? Are they relatively small?
Also, I live in Mid Wales, not the best weather, would an Indian Star be ok indoors majority of the time?

Males typically max out at around 6 inches. Females are usually under 10 inches.

I believe there are a few breeders in the UK. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/site/Welcome.html is another forum like this with the majority of the users being located in the UK and Europe. I know a few people active on that site have Indian stars.

Really any type of Mediterranean tortoise would be good for you if the Indian Stars don't work out.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum! Just so I can add my 2 cents, I love my Russian, BUT, I rescued her after 8 really poor years of care less then a year ago. She is very active, but she does not like to be handled much at all, as where my Sulcata cant get enough attention. But he was raised by me from 2 months of age. My Russian was mistreated by children, and fed a very poor diet, and I dont believe she was hardly ever outdoors. But, I am not recommending a Sulcata for you, just wanted to make that clear. The Star or Hermanns would be a great fit for ya! Have a great day! :)

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Indian stars here are pretty hard to get also. but we were lucky to find a mummy tort who just happened to have an extra batch of torts and after an interview, the mummy of the mummy tort decided we were fit to be parents of her grandtorts. :D so we were REALLY lucky to have captive bred torts (most indian stars are WC here)

if you do get an indian star (they are adorable shy creatures) who are pretty active during the day especially when food is involved, you'll need to give them lots of heat. we tempt our torts out of sleep with mazuri. we don't forcibly wake them up but we lure them by putting mazuri in the enclosure and fanning vigorusly. They absolutely love it!

They are adorable poopers and have a pretty slow growth rate. Ours grows at about 10gms every 10 days or so. But we really enjoy feeding them and watching them grow!!

If you want to keep them cute an adorable, less mazuri, more vegetables. but don't feed them too much. AAHHH I love my torts!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. It's all matter of which species you magnetize towards. I started with sulcatas and them meted towards all of them ; ) Herman's are a great species, they don't get to big, they don't hibernate near as much as the Russian. I'd lean to the Herman's would suit you nicely for your first one. Then you can always "add" as time goes one.

Status
Not open for further replies.