Hi, I'm new here for about a month and this is my first post.

Midge

Location (City and/or State)
la crescent, mn
I had an adult Russian tortoise about 10 years ago, but due to circumstances had to rehome her. In August I got a baby russian (tucker) and my question concerns him, her. I am concerned because he wants to sleep so much. I dig him out every two days for a soak and some food. He is lively and does eat some, but not a lot. He poops etc. but just goes back to digging himself in. His indoor house is 6 1/2" H, 45" L and 21" W. He has a water and a food dish, plants etc. Substrate is small bark and coconut core. My concern is the lights. I have a UV bulb, a heat and a light source just for extra light. I have read that lack of enough light can cause them to sleep a lot. I want to put a long florescent bulb, maybe a 24" across the top instead of the UV I have now, but I am confused about the T5, T4, etc. Which bulb should I buy? what do the different T's mean, and should I also put a regular light or heat bulb across the top too? I'm not sure how to upload photo's but he has enough space for now. Any help on the light and heat would be appreciated. Right now it is around 100 to 110 on the uv side and 85 on the heat side. Thanks !

Henrym1111

Florida
Hello and welcome to Tortoise Forum where you literally can learn anything about tortoises from your own posts and other peoples posts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had an adult Russian tortoise about 10 years ago, but due to circumstances had to rehome her. In August I got a baby russian (tucker) and my question concerns him, her. I am concerned because he wants to sleep so much. I dig him out every two days for a soak and some food. He is lively and does eat some, but not a lot. He poops etc. but just goes back to digging himself in. His indoor house is 6 1/2" H, 45" L and 21" W. He has a water and a food dish, plants etc. Substrate is small bark and coconut core. My concern is the lights. I have a UV bulb, a heat and a light source just for extra light. I have read that lack of enough light can cause them to sleep a lot. I want to put a long florescent bulb, maybe a 24" across the top instead of the UV I have now, but I am confused about the T5, T4, etc. Which bulb should I buy? what do the different T's mean, and should I also put a regular light or heat bulb across the top too? I'm not sure how to upload photo's but he has enough space for now. Any help on the light and heat would be appreciated. Right now it is around 100 to 110 on the uv side and 85 on the heat side. Thanks !

Hello and welcome.

You need 3 or 4 elements for heating, lighting and UV:
1. Basking heat: I use regular 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store. I set them on a digital timer for 12-13 hours a day and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp under it. Don't use spot bulbs, colored bulbs or bulbs marketed for reptiles here.
2. Light in the correct color spectrum: For this I like to use regular T8 bulbs in the 5000-6500K color range. It will show the color temp of the bulb on the packaging. 2500K looks yellowish. I set this bulb on the same timer as the baking bulb, or you can set it on its own timer to come on and off just a little before the basking bulb to make a sunrise/sunset effect.
3. UV bulb: There are many options here. The T5 HO tubes make strong UV, so they must be mounted higher up than regular T8 UV tubes. T5 or T8 refers to the diameter of the tube. HO stands for High Output and these bulbs require a different fixture. I prefer the Arcadia 12% HO tubes, but these make a lot of UV so I mount them at 20-24 inches about the tortoise and only run them for about 3-4 hours mid day. This one is complicated. The best solution for you would be to call this guy: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com and let him help you sort out what you need. Don't buy any cfl or coil type UV bulbs that screw into a regular fixture. They aren't effective and they sometimes burn reptile eyes. Also, without a UV meter, you are just guessing, and you'll be wasting money on replacement bulbs that you don't need. This is the one to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
4. Night heat: If your house stays above 65 at night, you really don't need night heat for a russian. If you do decide you need it, use a CHE (ceramic heating element) and set it on a thermostat to maintain ambient at your set point.

All of this and more is explained here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
If this is a baby Russian, shouldn’t the temps stay at 80 or above? Also they have to be in a humid environment?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If this is a baby Russian, shouldn’t the temps stay at 80 or above? Also they have to be in a humid environment?
Somehow people on this site got that in their head and kept repeating it, but no, they don't need to be in tropical conditions where its warm all the time. Russians and any other temperate species should have a night drop in temp. I like 65-70 for babies, although they can tolerate lower.

Likewise, moderate humidity is good for them, but they do not need tropical monsoon type humidity. A damp substrate that they can dig into and a humid hide will usually get the job done.

Daily soaks are a good idea for hatchlings of any species.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Thanks for clearing this up. I thought all babies needed the additional heat. Since I might have eggs coming from one of my females, I want to make sure I get it right

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for clearing this up. I thought all babies needed the additional heat. Since I might have eggs coming from one of my females, I want to make sure I get it right

What species have you got eggs from Cheryl?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I don’t yet have eggs. I have Russians. About a week ago, I put my male in with the female and he proceeded to bite her. Then mounted her, mouth wide open and I heard him squeel, sure was wears. Well, now I don’t know for sure but I am hoping for eggs. Just want to be ready if and when.

Midge

la crescent, mn
Hello and welcome.

You need 3 or 4 elements for heating, lighting and UV:
1. Basking heat: I use regular 65 watt incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store. I set them on a digital timer for 12-13 hours a day and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp under it. Don't use spot bulbs, colored bulbs or bulbs marketed for reptiles here.
2. Light in the correct color spectrum: For this I like to use regular T8 bulbs in the 5000-6500K color range. It will show the color temp of the bulb on the packaging. 2500K looks yellowish. I set this bulb on the same timer as the baking bulb, or you can set it on its own timer to come on and off just a little before the basking bulb to make a sunrise/sunset effect.
3. UV bulb: There are many options here. The T5 HO tubes make strong UV, so they must be mounted higher up than regular T8 UV tubes. T5 or T8 refers to the diameter of the tube. HO stands for High Output and these bulbs require a different fixture. I prefer the Arcadia 12% HO tubes, but these make a lot of UV so I mount them at 20-24 inches about the tortoise and only run them for about 3-4 hours mid day. This one is complicated. The best solution for you would be to call this guy: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com and let him help you sort out what you need. Don't buy any cfl or coil type UV bulbs that screw into a regular fixture. They aren't effective and they sometimes burn reptile eyes. Also, without a UV meter, you are just guessing, and you'll be wasting money on replacement bulbs that you don't need. This is the one to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
4. Night heat: If your house stays above 65 at night, you really don't need night heat for a russian. If you do decide you need it, use a CHE (ceramic heating element) and set it on a thermostat to maintain ambient at your set point.

All of this and more is explained here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Thanks for all the great information and especially for the websites. I was very confused about the lights and now it makes sense. Lots going on in my life right now, so I'm sorry for the late reply !