Hi im new and would love some advise on tortoise enclosures

GeorginaL

Location (City and/or State)
Gloucester
Hi I have a horse field tortoise who is around 10 years old. I have just built him a coldframe with a small outdoor run attached, this is fab in the summer and gives him plenty of space to roam and it has different substrates which is great for the tortoise and makes me feel good. However in the winter he comes inside in his relatively small, boring vivarium as its too cold and wet outside during these colder months. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make his life better in the winter....aka how to make his viv better or bigger, should I leave him outside instead, I just want a happy tortoise. Thanks ?

Attachments

• 20211014_142024.jpg
    20211014_142024.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20211014_141956.jpg
    20211014_141956.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why don't you allow him to brumate? (hibernate) That solves your winter time problem.

Welcome to the Forum, Georgina! Glad to have you here.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi I have a horse field tortoise who is around 10 years old. I have just built him a coldframe with a small outdoor run attached, this is fab in the summer and gives him plenty of space to roam and it has different substrates which is great for the tortoise and makes me feel good. However in the winter he comes inside in his relatively small, boring vivarium as its too cold and wet outside during these colder months. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make his life better in the winter....aka how to make his viv better or bigger, should I leave him outside instead, I just want a happy tortoise. Thanks ?
I have 1 Sulcata, and 3 Russians...they live inside during our winters...they have room to walk around and hides to sleep in...the shed stays 85 degrees when when it's freezing outside...
100_6258.JPG
doggie doors are opened every morning...
100_6255.JPG

GeorginaL

Gloucester
Why don't you allow him to brumate? (hibernate) That solves your winter time problem.

Hi Yvonne, thanks for your reply, the only reason I have brought him and instead of leaving him out to hibernate naturally is purely because the outside setup does get wet abd I didn't want him to get shell rott :/ any ideas on how I could have prevented this from becoming so wet inside, it is top soil which is outside. Also your link attached is fab.

GeorginaL

Gloucester
I have 1 Sulcata, and 3 Russians...they live inside during our winters...they have room to walk around and hides to sleep in...the shed stays 85 degrees when when it's freezing outside...
View attachment 334595
doggie doors are opened every morning...
View attachment 334597
Lucky toroises, unfortunately I don't have a shed otherwise that would have been ideal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can box him up in a cardboard box filled with shredded paper and place the box in a back bedroom closet that doesn't see much activity. Mine brumate outside, but it's on the carport where it stays dry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you want to keep him up, cut a hole big enough he can fit thru it in one end of the viv and add a plastic tote box with a matching hole or if you can do an easy build, then use plywood and 2x6's or 2x8's which ever height you need and add on to the viv. You could even add a second level to the add on. You want to try to get as close to a 4x8 foot enclosure. With the extra room you could add some plants.

GeorginaL

Gloucester
If you want to keep him up, cut a hole big enough he can fit thru it in one end of the viv and add a plastic tote box with a matching hole or if you can do an easy build, then use plywood and 2x6's or 2x8's which ever height you need and add on to the viv. You could even add a second level to the add on. You want to try to get as close to a 4x8 foot enclosure. With the extra room you could add some plants.

GeorginaL

Gloucester
You can box him up in a cardboard box filled with shredded paper and place the box in a back bedroom closet that doesn't see much activity. Mine brumate outside, but it's on the carport where it stays dry.
Ok thanks, I will look into that! A carport would be ideal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Have you owned your tort for 10 years or is he a new addition?
If you decide to hibernate him I would advise you read the threads about preparing a tort for it carefully if you've not done it before so you can avoid the risks. Some tort associations/sanctuaries do free health checks by vets in the UK before hibernation so it may be worth seeing if you've any in your area.
Many people use a fridge so that the temps can be controlled and kept stable so that the tort doesn't wake. These days our UK winter temps are very unpredictable with warm and cold days in succession so it can be a problem.
You could make a bigger enclosure by using a second hand bookcase on its back lined with a cheap shower curtain and use the shelves to cap the edges to stop him escaping.
This is the caresheet for Russians in case you haven't already found it