HI! I'm a new tort mom and NEED help please

NISSANKITTY

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi everyone!! Happy to have found this forum and there seems to be so much information but I am having trouble finding answers about if my setup is adequate for my tort. I am a new tort mom the boys in the family (bf and son) decided to bring home a tort and enclosure but I didn't get to do my research first and now I'm freaking out! I want to make sure this precious baby is taken care of correctly, and in my household it will end up being me.
What I've gathered we have a Russian Tortoise no idea how old or the sex. It was purchased at PetSmart and came with no set up/care guidelines. The boys said the "kid" helping them didn't seem to know much. "GREAT" and they still bought it. As stated these little guys and their setups aren't in the in-expensive range. Here are the details of what we have:
A 40 gallon tank 36in L x 16.25in W x 19.2in H we have two dome light atop the enclosure one has a 100w basking light ( looks like a flood light) and one is a 26w UVB high output bulb ( looks coiled)set on a timer for 8am to 8pm. we only have one thermometer and it is located more towards the cooler side measures 80 degrees F and the humidity is usually about 60 percent seems to fall overnight to about 50. He/she was active the first day soaked himself and drank we had him outside while DAD set up the enclosure and he ate some clovers (totally freaked but from what I found on internet it was ok) but since that day has borrowed under his half log and I've seen no signs of him soaking or eating. Feeding him greens and grassland tortoise food the pellets you have to mash with water. Yesterday we took him out in yard ( we live in upstate NY was about 81outside) and he was active and then soaked him for a few minutes (10-15) he seemed to really hate it which made me feel worse( is there a good temp for the water or just warm to touch is okay). We just got him 7/4/18 so maybe an acclamation period I'm just worried since I really don't know anything about these cute little guys.

Sorry such a long into and sorry if I should have posted elsewhere all the extra info. Thanks in advance

20180708_100425.jpg 20180708_100450.jpg 20180708_100504.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw geez! Too bad they didn't come here before they bought all the wrong stuff.

Russian tortoises are a small species. So pet stores have a small tortoise and the inexperienced folks selling them tell people they're young tortoises (because they're small). This is not true. Here in the States we have a rule that businesses can't sell tortoises that are under 4" from front to back. By the time a russian tortoise gets to be 4", he's almost full grown. So your new tortoise is almost full grown and should be cared for as an adult, and not a baby.

Russian tortoises are hard wired to wander great distances in search of food. Being cooped up in a small aquarium is going to stress him out and you're going to see him digging in the corners trying to get out, climbing the sides, and pacing back and forth across the front of the aquarium.

It's much cheaper to give them the space they need with a large plastic tub rather than a glass aquarium. The Christmas Tree Storage Bin by Iris is a good example. It's 4' long.

But, having said that, Russian tortoises really should be outside in a safe and secure habitat. They do much better outside. Then in the winter, when weather is bad, they hibernate, so they should never be a need for an indoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should also mention, that the screen you have your lights sitting on is filtering out most of the beneficial UVB rays that the tortoise needs to get his calcium working. The coiled bulbs are not good UVB bulbs anyway, so having it on a screen is really not a good thing. If you set him up outside there is no need for the lights.

NISSANKITTY

New York
Yvonne G
Thanks for the feedback. I am in NY we just had a heat wave come through that finally broke its only 76 degrees out now at 10:44am and the high for today is only 84 low for tonight is in the 50s. would an outside enclosure still work? We live in the country and I'm nervous of the other animals that may get to him out there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they really do much better outside. We have a very experienced member - HermanniChris - who lives on the east coast like you, and he keeps many different mediterranean species outside year round.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've personally had problems with the coil uvb lights. They can harm your tortoises eyes. It might not be all of them but tho be safe I would ditch it for a florescent tube light. You can get a florescent fixture at Wal-Mart very cheap.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your tortoise needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. Please give these a read-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Definitely don’t use that water bowl. They are huge flipping and drowning hazards. I would get a terra cotta saucer that is big enough for the tort to fit into.

Those dial thermometers/Hygrometers are known to be inaccurate. You need a digital hydrometer, and a digital thermometer with a probe, preferably a temp gun.

NISSANKITTY

New York
Toddrickfl1 thank you I will look into getting a florescent fixture this week any specific one you would recommend?

TechnoChese thank you for the links and ill get that water bowl out asap. Would you recommend two digital thermometers /hydrometers one for each side of the tank

I can't believe these box stores are allowed to even sell these guys they obviously are very misinformed themselves about the proper care or a tort making me angry:mad: Especially since we do not have the space for an 8ft by 4ft enclosure. Wish I had the chance for proper research before the boys brought little Boxer home. Feeling very concerned :( for his wellbeing from what I've seen in PetSmart I thought we had the Taj Mahal

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Toddrickfl1 thank you I will look into getting a florescent fixture this week any specific one you would recommend?

TechnoChese thank you for the links and ill get that water bowl out asap. Would you recommend two digital thermometers /hydrometers one for each side of the tank

I can't believe these box stores are allowed to even sell these guys they obviously are very misinformed themselves about the proper care or a tort making me angry:mad: Especially since we do not have the space for an 8ft by 4ft enclosure. Wish I had the chance for proper research before the boys brought little Boxer home. Feeling very concerned :( for his wellbeing from what I've seen in PetSmart I thought we had the Taj Mahal
I don't think the fixture matters. While it's summer though and warm out if you can take your new little guy outside for natural sunlight a couple 2-3 hrs a week this would be sufficient enough uvb for him and you wouldn't need to buy a new bulb right away. You could just use a regular light bulb in the fixture you already have. This is what I do.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

I would just get 1 thermometer with a probe (or a cheap temp gun, those are life savers), and just a regular digital thermometer. Doesn’t have to be made for reptiles.

And yeah, pet stores suck :(