Hi, I have put getting a tortoise on the back but.. I need advice please!!

Themessfits

Location (City and/or State)
nj
A few months back,I had put my plans to a halt after, speaking with my family.. Now, something has changed and they said to go for the Tortoise. I think, it is the fact that I cant have rodents anymore. Watching my rats decline in heath due to old age and my hamster. Is not something I enjoy going through and my family doesnt like it either. Its very sad to go through constantly.

I know this commitment is a big one but, I already made the same commitment to my birds. Who I love so incredibly much ( he is a GCC & I have two Budgies) All my animals are with me for life. Including, my horse who had passed away. But, this guy is a commitment even past my own life...

E5B552A2-2015-4259-BA94-CCF24B10DC15.jpegE6961303-207B-4C36-BE43-C07BD6C9A949.jpeg

Even though this little guy is gorgeous.. Im brought up with do I want to support this store :( Or leave him there for someone else to get.. I know this place doesnt get them in very often. Its a very catch 22 deal with this type of stuff. Help this one animal but, support them bringing in another. Its sucks!! Locally no rescues have any available and they dont even have him labeled. He is just said to be assorted?

I remembered the forum this morning and got back into my account. If I ask my family, they would just say go and get him. I trust you will help me!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Russian tortoises are very sturdy. Very hardy and are what I would consider to be a good first tortoise.
However, tortoises are not a beginner pet.
You have the time and the mindset. And you are an experienced pet keeper. But do you have the space?
A Russian stays small. But a young one still needs at least 4' x 4' of room. More room is preferred. And will soon be needed.
These can't be kept in a small area like a rat or pet hamster.
(Even though you will see more than one jammed into a fishtank at your local pet store.)

Themessfits

nj
Russian tortoises are very sturdy. Very hardy and are what I would consider to be a good first tortoise.
You have the time and the mindset. And you are an experienced pet keeper. But do you have the space?
A Russian stays small. But a young one still needs at least 4' x 4' of room. More room is preferred. And will soon be needed.
(Even though you will see more than one jammed into a fishtank at your local pet store.)
All my animals have more room than they need. My two rats have a mansion (takes up space, not in a tank that is bad for them too) and my hamster is kept in a cage that is well over the minimum requirement of 450 sq ( usa standards) my guy is in something close to 750 sq floor space. That recommendation is always changing too.

Not to mention my birds cages are double the size requirement they need as well. I hate small cages and dont think it is fair ( depending on the species ex: pacman frog or insects) Especially all the tiny cages that the stores push. they are not good at all!

I do have a huge backyard for an outdoor enclosure and enough space for the proper set up indoors.

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it!!
It kind of reassured me that I know, I can make the accommodations for one. I also, have a vet that is familiar with tortoises too.

Edit: I really do love the Russian Torts. Always wanted one as a kid and knew I wasnt ready at that age. So, I stuck to the hamsters, rabbits, fish, birds, and anything besides reptiles.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree with this and an adult needs a minimum of 4x8 feet enclosure and an outdoor enclosure.

Themessfits

nj
I don't think this means what you think it means...
I do know what it means : ) I also, work with horses both professionally and dealt with many different types of species. Just not personally with tortoises.

I have seen many different set ups and many different types of species setups ( not just on this forum). I know some Aldabra Giant Tortoises are kept in a similar setup to a horse. Which entitles an outdoor shelter and huge paddocks.

I understand that proper husbandry is extremely important for the health of my animals. That size of enclosure and space isnt an issue for my house : )
Thank you for your advice though..

Last edited:

Themessfits

nj
I don't think this means what you think it means...
Also, If you meant my measurements those are supposed to be in. and floor space. I took it as you meaning not having amount of space. But, that is a typo and not really anything to do with my question.

Themessfits

nj
So, you are going to get a tortoise?
I think, I am : ) I am going to start to get my supplies together today! Whether it is this exact tortoise, im still debating on supporting a pet store. It would be too cold to have them shipped safely to me at the moment though.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
A few months back,I had put my plans to a halt after, speaking with my family.. Now, something has changed and they said to go for the Tortoise. I think, it is the fact that I cant have rodents anymore. Watching my rats decline in heath due to old age and my hamster. Is not something I enjoy going through and my family doesnt like it either. Its very sad to go through constantly.

I know this commitment is a big one but, I already made the same commitment to my birds. Who I love so incredibly much ( he is a GCC & I have two Budgies) All my animals are with me for life. Including, my horse who had passed away. But, this guy is a commitment even past my own life...

View attachment 286122View attachment 286124

Even though this little guy is gorgeous.. Im brought up with do I want to support this store :( Or leave him there for someone else to get.. I know this place doesnt get them in very often. Its a very catch 22 deal with this type of stuff. Help this one animal but, support them bringing in another. Its sucks!! Locally no rescues have any available and they dont even have him labeled. He is just said to be assorted?

I remembered the forum this morning and got back into my account. If I ask my family, they would just say go and get him. I trust you will help me!
He’s a cutie for sure. Looks very alert.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Also, If you meant my measurements those are supposed to be in. and floor space. I took it as you meaning not having amount of space. But, that is a typo and not really anything to do with my question.
Yeah just odd, we just don’t see a lot of people use inches. Hehe