Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a Herman’s tortoise, named Scooter.

Dorothy

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a concern that I would like some advice. He seems active a eats well, poops well and drinks water. I soak him every day. He has grown but hasn't gained any weight for about a month. I have had him since the end of July. He was just a hatchling very tiny. He weighs 32 grams. I have in a tortoise table that is 2 ft.. By 4 ft. The substrate I use is a combination of reptibark and fine grade reptile bedding. I use a mercury vapor bulb that is both UVB and uva So his basking spot is 95 degrees. I also have a fogger that I use for humidity, to keep it at about 70 Percent. I feed him spring mix, dandelion, plantain and Mazuri tortoise diet LS. I also sprinkle his food with calcium and reptivite every other day.
my concern is that he hasn’t gained any weight in about a month. What could be the problem and should I be concerned. Do they have a period where they just level off for a while. Thank you for any advice.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you attach a picture of the enclosure and bulbs?

Dorothy

Florida
The bulb is a 125 watt mercury vapor bulb. I don’t know how to upload a picture.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is it a coil looking bulb?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
The bulb is a 125 watt mercury vapor bulb. I don’t know how to upload a picture.

When you make a post, or reply to a post, there is an "attach files" button in the bottom left corner of the box. Click this, and then it will let you browse and upload images from your mobile or computer. This site does not require external hosting, making it very easy to post pics.

Dorothy

Florida
When you make a post, or reply to a post, there is an "attach files" button in the bottom left corner of the box. Click this, and then it will let you browse and upload images from your mobile or computer. This site does not require external hosting, making it very easy to post pics.
Thank you

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Here is a picture of the tortoise table
Your mercury bulb being so high might not be producing enough UVB. Sunlight through a glass window does not produce enough UVB either.
Not sure where you live in Florida. But you can get the proper UVB by having him outside for about 3 hours a week. In the summer maybe just 1/2 hr at a time because of the hot sun then soak. Make sure you are outside with him. Keeping him safe from critters and hawks. In the cooler weather 65° sunny and no wind is fine.
I am not sure about Hermann's if they need a closed enclosure to maintain humidity. I will give a shout out to @HerrmaniChris and see if he replies. Also read the caresheets for herrmans here on this forum.
Also welcome!

Dorothy

Florida
Your mercury bulb being so high might not be producing enough UVB. Sunlight through a glass window does not produce enough UVB either.
Not sure where you live in Florida. But you can get the proper UVB by having him outside for about 3 hours a week. In the summer maybe just 1/2 hr at a time because of the hot sun then soak. Make sure you are outside with him. Keeping him safe from critters and hawks. In the cooler weather 65° sunny and no wind is fine.
I am not sure about Hermann's if they need a closed enclosure to maintain humidity. I will give a shout out to @HerrmaniChris and see if he replies. Also read the caresheets for herrmans here on this forum.
Also welcome!
Thank you for your suggestions.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Also welcome!
A closed chamber is definitely needed for baby torts. There is no way you will be able to keep the required humidity in a open table. Also, that water bowl is a drowning hazard. I would change it as soon as possible.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

These are the 2 go to care sheets.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
A closed chamber is definitely needed for baby torts. There is no way you will be able to keep the required humidity in a open table. Also, that water bowl is a drowning hazard. I would change it as soon as possible.
Thanks for the clarification. I have a sully so I wasn't sure.

GMDVM

Ionia New York
The breeder of my Western Hermann does not recommend foggers. I have a clear shower curtain over my entire set up that keeps humidity over 70% with an occasional spray of water also use a low plant saucer that’s pushed into the substrate for your water and soaking bowlimage.jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
The breeder of my Western Hermann does not recommend foggers. I have a clear shower curtain over my entire set up that keeps humidity over 70% with an occasional spray of water also use a low plant saucer that’s pushed into the substrate for your water and soaking bowlView attachment 312122
Looks good, but I was replying to the original poster, @Dorothy