Hi I am new here and am happy to find site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
We have a red footed tortoise named Tyrone Franklin Rufus III. My daughter named him, and I asked her what happend to the first and second? She replied I don't know it just sounds better to be a third! We got him at a Petsmart a little over a year ago. I must say he wasn't very happy when he first came, butwe did research and soon found out that he needed soakings and fresh food! He loves kale and strawberries are his absolute favorite! We feed him cooked chicken about every 3 weeks. He loves to be outside and he eats dandelions. I am guessing he is a he ... He looks like he has a waist. I noticed today he has a cracked lower beak! It looks split on two sides almost like it is going to fall off! Should we get him seen by a vet? He is eating fine and acting fine...he did seem to head bump my hand more than usual and he rubbed his head on my hand more than usual. He has a large sandstone rock in his cage he likes to bite and lay on under the heat lamp I am wondering if that is how he broke it.

We live in Ohio and don't have any reptile vets close by ...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dawndy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I took in a Steppe (Horsfield's) tortoise about 3 months ago that had the exact problem. The lower beak was cracked/split on either side, close to where it attaches to his head. This one was from not eating calcium-rich foods, or not having a calcium supplement. I'm sure the beak is going to fall off eventually, but in the mean time, I'm not giving him anything he has to bite hard in order to eat. I cut his food up in very small bites, and all he has to do is tongue it into his mouth. I'm also feeding him calcium-rich foods like cactus, collard & turnip greens, kale, okra, etc.

The problem with feeding him in this manner is that his upper beak is now not having to grind against anything and is starting to grow longer. But I'll deal with that as it occurrs.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
He gets Kale everyday. I have some calcium powder, I will start sprinkling on his food daily. Can you ever give the too much?
I was just worried it was something unusual.. But from what I read on here this happens. I never knew they had a beak and needed to have them filed if they get over grown! Another great thing I learned from this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The problem with the calcium supplements is that it tastes bad. So if you put too much, they won't eat that day. So use it sparingly and you should be ok...just a pinch on the food every 3rd day or so.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Glad to know you like it here so far! There are a lot of very intelligent people on this forum, and you may end up learning more than you initially thought you would! Lol! But that's not a bad thing in the least. ;) I wish you and your redfoot (with an awesome name I may add :D) the best of luck! :p

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Thanks! I have a few questions, I don't know if is is a right place to ask but when anyone suggests cuttle bone, you're talking about the kind you give birds ? Also is it ok to give him watermelon on occasion? Thanks for all the help!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
KimandKarasi said:
Welcome to the forum! Glad to know you like it here so far! There are a lot of very intelligent people on this forum, and you may end up learning more than you initially thought you would! Lol! But that's not a bad thing in the least. ;) I wish you and your redfoot (with an awesome name I may add :D) the best of luck! :p

I LOVE the turtle sign! Too cute!

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Watsonpartyof4 said:
I LOVE the turtle sign! Too cute!

Aww, well thank you! Lol, I made it because when I take her to the park for some reason people want to try to walk on her, haha! So it at least gives them a heads up! ;) and about the watermelon, I wouldn't give them any because it can cause diarrea since it's mostly water. Same with cucumbers actually. :p also strawberries shouldn't be given because some torts can't digest the sugars, I just added that because for some reason everyone wants to feed tortoises those. :p I hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.