Hi, I’m new to the forum and looking for help with my 3 toe box turtle’s shell

vthompson58

Location (City and/or State)
Houston TX
I live in Texas where humidity is not a problem. This box turtle lives in an outdoor enclosure and I use peat moss as a substrate. The shell is losing a “top layer”. I thought it might be shell rot, so I have been washing gently the areas with a mild soap, letting it dry and then adding iodine.
I’m not so sure now this is shell rot, but maybe something else. The turtle is a huge fan of worms and fruit, but very little vegetables. I’m wondering if it is a diet issue? Has anyone seen this before. Thinking I might need to take to vet.
Thought I would ask if anyone has seen this before. Thank you!

3D11A424-0C3B-48E0-B43F-DA3C22C4EC05.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If it is some kind of fungus it wouldn't hurt to try putting some athletes foot cream on it a few days and see if that clears it up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

One normally sees that sort of shell damage when the turtle has been chewed on by a dog (rats, raccoon, etc.) or has been knocked around by other turtles. The keratin isn't coming off by itself, something has made it come off. There's nothing a vet (or anyone) can do about it. You just have to figure out what happened to the turtle and fix it so it can't happen any more. The actual spots don't require any attention.

vthompson58

Houston TX
Hi, and welcome!

One normally sees that sort of shell damage when the turtle has been chewed on by a dog (rats, raccoon, etc.) or has been knocked around by other turtles. The keratin isn't coming off by itself, something has made it come off. There's nothing a vet (or anyone) can do about it. You just have to figure out what happened to the turtle and fix it so it can't happen any more. The actual spots don't require any attention.
Thank you!