Hi & Happy New Year from Vegas

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that I don't have a tortoise to introduce, but I will soon. I have a great book about Sulcata Tortoises but I know there are many ways of accomplishing one goal. I wanted to give myself a few months to acquire the necessary items and set up an appropriate enclosure for a baby Sulcata before actually obtaining one.

I currently live in Las Vegas, NV and am originally from New York. I'm a borosilicate glass artist while also working 9-5 job in the weapons industry and am going on 6 years with my husband. We have a fantastic four year old son and two year old Australian Cattle Dog.

I've wanted my own Sulcata for years now but the timing just never seemed quite right. At first we were living in an apartment and shortly after, I was pregnant with our son. We've owned our own home for 4 years now and finally feel like we are ready for this addition. But as I said before, I want to be fully prepared and have the enclosure functioning properly before buying the tortoise and bringing he/she home.

I'm looking forward to further my knowledge and having a great resource for any questions/concerns I may have along the way on this new adventure. Looking forward to a great new year, thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Happy New Year to you too.
I like that your getting prepaired. Please read all the sulcata caresheets. Lots of things have changed since most books have come out. We have learned what's right, and works best and what's old, out dated bad information.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Welcome to TFO.
I had never heard of Borosilicate glass so I had to look it up. Now I'm curious why that type of glass for art work?

ExtraSpicyKimchi

Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to TFO.
I had never heard of Borosilicate glass so I had to look it up. Now I'm curious why that type of glass for art work?

Hi and thank you all for such a warm welcome! I appreciate your support on my decision to join and become fully prepared before bringing a tortoise home. I take caring for all living things very seriously and this little guy or gal is no exception.

Keeper, to answer your question, I have never been taught anything else. Soft glass work is usually large scale and requires multiple people working on the same project. It also requires a lot of very large equipment and an equally large space. Most borosilicate work can be done as an independent artist.