Hi from Wantage England

Miniman8

Location (City and/or State)
Wantage UK
Hi everyone, I came across this forum site while looking for a tracking device for my Russian/Horfields tortoise.
His name is Lightning McQueen from the film(named by my grandchildren) when he goes for a walk he is really fast & that’s how we got his name.
We got him 2 years ago as a rescue from a local guy who rescues tortoises, he had been fed the wrong food for a long time so his shell is the wrong shape, much flatter than it should be, he had also had his right rear leg broken & not set properly, this is now ok so he can walk great on it, he is quite grumpy & if you pick him up he hisses really loud at you, but he will come over to you if you talk to him.
We live in a rented house with a 100 foot long back garden (yard), it has a fence all round with a wall at the far end, so it is pretty secure, last year when the weather warmed up we put him out in the garden, he was in his run with his outside house making up one side, he would take himself into the sleeping area & it was not for about 2 or 3 days that I realised he was not there, we searched the whole garden but we have loads of bushes & a huge hedge down one side but we could not find him, we kept on searching but no sign, we thought he might have dug out under the fence, then 3 1/2 months later I was mowing the lawn & there he was in front of me at the edge of the lawn, he was covered in dry earth so we think he did what Horfields like to do which is dig.we were over the moon to have him back.
Before we got him he had not hibernated & we have not hibernated him & will not try this winter either he just refuses point blank to go to sleep, we have the right temperature etc. but no way is he hibernating, we have a tortoise table I made for him from a piece of worktop (countertop) with 6 inch high sides screwed on all the way round with a lamp to keep him warm during the day, this is in our unheated utility room it gets cool but not cool enough to send him into hibernation.
He is out in the garden as the weather here is still quite warm, he is digging some good holes in my lawn at the moment, he is buried as deep as his shell.
We love him especially the grandchildren.
Sorry this post has gone on a bit, I will take some pictures tomorrow & post on here.
Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

They make some sort of device that helps you find your keys. . . I wonder if something like that would work.

Miniman8

Wantage UK
D2529F39-B713-40BA-A8D6-BA13075A129D.jpeg
Welcome to the Forum!

They make some sort of device that helps you find your keys. . . I wonder if something like that would work.

Hi Yvonne thanks for the welcome, yes I have been looking at some of them think I might try one of those.
The thing is with lightning he is so fast that if you let him out of his run & take your eyes off him for only a short time he vanishes & then we have to spend time looking for him, I meant to add on my initial post that we also have 3 chickens who free range around the garden/yard & they quite often jump into his run , they just ignore each other, if he moves they look as if to say what is that.
I have uploaded a picture I have just taken, his head (although you can’t see it )is at the top of the picture.
Tom

Miniman8

Wantage UK
4826B62D-8FA4-4344-B8FB-0FA5229957A7.jpeg

51A2BE99-9048-48C6-A869-C26F80B970B7.jpeg Hi everyone, I will be bringing my tort in soon as the weather in England has got a bit wet & rainy, it’s not that cold but when he digs down in his outside run I’m afraid the hole will fill with water & he could drown. I’ve just been into our loft(roof storage) & thought I would check which lamp we have for his indoor table, I have attached a couple of pictures of the box the bulb cam in, it supposedly provides UVA,UVB & IR from one bulb, there are so many different threads on here about lamps I’m a bit confused, i want to make sure we are not damaging his eyes, the guy we got him from recommended this type as the type he uses. I will also be rebuilding his table so that I can use coco coir to help keep humidity up, will raise the height of the side to 9 inches to allow for a 3 inch deep bed, is that enough? & still be tall enough to stop him climbing out.
Tom