Hi From Southern Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzdian

5 Year Member
Randfontein-20121125-00434.jpgRandfontein-20130322-00021.jpgRandfontein-20130322-00023.jpg

Hi all

As you can see I am new to this forum.

I have found my best friend "Tori" on a busy road close to my house in the Highveld in South Africa. I am not sure what breed of Tortoise she is,but will love to know. If one of you can tell me what she is I whould appriciate it very much. I think she is a Leopard but not sure. I love her so much!!! Any info regarding her breed,age and sex will also be appriciated!

Thanks in return!!
Dian

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Hi and welcome to the forum, Dian! :)

(I don't know what kind of tortoise you have, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly who does.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I don't know the species either. It's very nice looking though. Nice and smooth. With a long tail like it has, I would bet its a male.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome....definitely looks like a male, but. As far as species, im not sure. Someone will answer shortly...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dian, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not that familiar with the tortoises of South Africa, however, from the shape and the flare I'm going to guess it's one of the hingeback species.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Nice male Hingeback you got there... Not sure on the actual (sub-name) species, but definitely in the Hingeback family... Gorgeous too for being Wild. Nice find and a great addition to the family.... Welcome

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Welcome to the forum, lovely tort no matter what species he is :D

'And like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. That species is not common here, so most of us have never seen them. The only time I ever saw them was in your country. I spent a few months there back in 2005. It is a male, but its not a leopard. One of our members who knows all the SA species will be a long to name it soon.

vzdian

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! Your really helped! Hopefully someone will answer shortley what sub-name it have!

Thanks again!

Dian

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks like a lobatse hinge back. Are you in eastern south africa? Oh and welcome!

Well I just googled the location of where you found him. Definitely within the range lobatse, and too big for a Natals hinge back. Fantastic specimen. We never see those here in the US.

kinixys lobatsiana or Lobatse hinge back is the name. They are a grassland species. They will eat grasses succulents and all sorts of broad leafed weeds and plants. They like cactus too.

vzdian

5 Year Member
Thanks! And I am from South-Africa! And you are 99% sure its a kinixys lobatsiana or Lobatse hinge back tortoise?

Thanks in advance
Dian

Weldd

10 Year Member!
I was scrolling down the responses waiting for Kelly's. I knew he'd identify that as Lobatse.

Beautiful tortoise!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Definitely. The other spiked marginal scutes is the give. The natals is within that region too. But this specimen is way to big to be a natalensis.

vzdian

5 Year Member
Thanks!! For all you trouble

Dian

P.S If you have any care sheets for them please sent them to me (or the links)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No problem. Well id be willing to bet there isnt one. However being in the range in which you are. Outside would be best for him. If you have a yard that can be sectioned off and hides put in place.

vzdian

5 Year Member
Do they hibernate in the winter? What do they eat? And are they a scares specie?

Thanks
Dian

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Grass, succulents, and weeds. Sometimes when they find dead animals they will eat carrion. They are pretty common over there, in botswana tanzania, and swaziland, and some of mozambique. Pet trade is the biggest issue against their populations. Very rare to see here in the US zoos and collections. I have no experience with hibernating this species though. They will hibernate in the winter. Sometimes come out during the day when it warms up and then go back to hibernate. RSA hibernating is much different than here. They go under ground and pop up after many months of cold weather. If you want move him inside to an enclosure when winter comes.

vzdian

5 Year Member
Thanks! Do you have a contact email if I want to contact you with more quistions?

Status
Not open for further replies.