Hi from Northern Virginia

mdunaway

Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, VA
HI All,
I have my two Russian Tortoises for over 2 years now, but finally decided to join a forum.
I have a male and female, Sheldon and Amy.
We have a large enclosure with two separate caves, flat water bowl that they can climb in and a basking rock on the warm side. For over 2 years they have been great together, no issues.
Now they seem to be fighting more, hence the joining a forum to get some information.
Look forward to getting lots of information to help my torts have a great life!

Attachments

• IMG_0928[735].jpg
    IMG_0928[735].jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0929[734].jpg
    IMG_0929[734].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 11

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. How large is the enclosure? I’m thinking they need much more space, and two Russians kept in small(ish) space are going to tangle. Sooo, how large of space, it might be time to expand and separate.

welcome to the Forum.

mdunaway

Gainesville, VA
Greetings. How large is the enclosure? I’m thinking they need much more space, and two Russians kept in small(ish) space are going to tangle. Sooo, how large of space, it might be time to expand and separate.

welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the welcome. I was wondering the same thing, but their enclosure is 4 ft by 2.5 feet with 4-5 inch deep substrate and everything else i read says that big enough for two tortoises. But i was wondering if maybe separating them was needed.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Also along with what Mark said the male has possibly become sexually mature and what you see as fighting may be part of the mating process. Whatever the reason it's best to separate them. Welcome to the Forum.

mnhash

South East Asia
Haha, Sheldon and Amy. you must love The Big Bang Theory, as do my Mrs and i. Welcome to the Forum!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ogh, one more question. Are you 100% positive that you have one male & one female? You might want to upload some pix of their plastrons/tail areas so folks can have a peek & help verify.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Maro2Bear is correct Mounting does not mean maleness-it is dominance based and can be done by either sex. Welcome from Richmond and please keep your highway traffic to yourself!