Hi from KY

Greenfoley

Location (City and/or State)
Lexington, KY
Hello everyone, as you can see <----- I just joined yesterday but wanted to say hi. I was first introduced to the idea of having a tortoise a couple of years ago by the owner of a beautiful red foot and my fascination with the idea festered for a while and has recently blossomed. I've spent most of the last few days sick on the couch and have used this time to watch dozens of youtube videos, pour over this forum and a thread dedicated to the aforementioned red foot on a totally non-tortoise related forum I hang out on lol.

Unfortunately while I am full tilt ready to get a tortoise habitat set up and bring one home (a friend of mine even has two Hermann's she's looking to rehome although thus far my favorite has been leopards) after discussing this with my husband we decided it needs to wait a few years. We are planning to move in the next year or two, potentially into an apartment or loft with no yard and he is not really on board with an indoor pet (barring seasonal/weather related necessary times) so unless I can change his mind, I will just have to spend the next few years (we plan to live in possible apartment for a year or two before selling our current property and purchasing a different home with a yard) planning and researching for when we do have a yard I can set up a habitat in. I have also considered the possibility of setting up a habitat here and fostering or pulling one off of Craigslist, keeping it long enough to make sure it's healthy and finding it an appropriate permanent home (being up front with the people putting it on CL about my intentions, more aimed at someone needing to get rid of theirs quickly where I would have more time to vet out a good home, not just flipping them), maybe, just a though, not something I'e had a ton of time considering yet.

Anyways, sorry for the book, just wanted to introduce myself so I can get to know all of you :) A little more about me, as I've added on my profile, I'm 38, married and live in Lexington, KY. My husband and I are semi professional self employed photographers, he's also full time employed in IT and I work part time as a cashier in a large health food grocery store/co-op. We have horses (a 24yr old Arabian stallion and a 19yr old thoroughbred mare) and currently one dog, an 8yr old Azawakh (my Avatar). We will also be adding a miniature poodle in the Spring which I am VERY EXCITED about as I have wanted a poodle for SO many years.

Ok, ok, I'll stop talking now ;)

(r.t)

Spain
Welcome!!! If you don't have a yard you could (if you have one) use a small terrace or a balconey as the outdoor enclousure, as I live in the city I have done that and made her an enclousure recycling furniture.
And one last thing, I would love to see photos you take as i also like photography, but am no expert, but have taken some plant pictures which I am quite proud of. ;):)

Greenfoley

Lexington, KY
Currently and until we make the move into town we have a large yard with plenty of room for a good sized habitat and I've been dreaming and pouring over the enclosures section dreaming of what I could build. When we move into town we might end up in a place with a yard or at least a big enough balcony to set up a small habitat for a smaller breed or baby but the apartments we have been talking about are high rise, have very small balconies if we got one at all and an unknown policy regarding exotics. We'll see. We will be keeping this place until if/when we are sure city life is for us, working on it and getting it ready for eventual sale or possible rental so I have considered the possibility of maintaining a habitat here even though we live in town. We board our mare close by here so I will be out here regularly taking care of her anyways but it needs more thought, right off I'm not really comfortable leaving my tortoise out here and only being out to check on him/her. We'll see, I'm not going to rush into ownership unless I have all contingencies planned for and there's a lot to consider.

Be careful what you wish for, I get sharing pictures and have a hard time stopping lol. I will put up a couple here in a few, in the meantime, lots more can be seen on our website and our Facebook page.

Greenfoley

Lexington, KY
Ok, I'll start with the obvious. This is my Arab stallion, Marquis

267631_293483967418934_313238961_n.jpg

and our thoroughbred mare, Angel

1510706_487329881367674_7877245502273404155_n.jpg

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Im glad to see another Arabian Lover!
I have a pinto arab ex-stallion. (gelding) 27 years old and still sound! You cant beat the personalities...

Greenfoley

Lexington, KY
Hi! Marquis is my first, I've had him for almost 7yrs now and he, unfortunately, was not riding sound when I got him and hadn't been for I think a year or two. He's never taken a bad step in the years I've had him even while jogging miles a day around the farm he lives and works as a teaser on. He's very well trained with a nice show career being shown by a girl the same age as him starting when they were 4 or 5, since he's been sound and I've gotten encouragement from vets and farriers, I've considered getting on him but I would never forgive myself if he were to start having soundness issues again so I just love him from the ground :) He's my old man and I adore him to pieces.