Hi from Illinois and new to torts!

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
hello! Wemakegreatpets here. From Chicagoland. I’m no stranger to exotic pets. I keep cichlids in a huge aquarium and have been a fishkeeper for around 13 years? Currently keep a 75 gallon aquarium with angels, Bolivian rams, a blood parrot and different small species of catfish!

My interest in torts began with my ex boyfriend. Last time I visited (we’re good friends now) he had adopted a rescue tortoise, not sure which type. Reggie, his tort, was THE SWEETEST GIRL.

I’m currently on vacation in Florida and yesterday met a sweet gopher tortoise, an endangered type, on the beach. Buddy walked right up to me probably looking to eat my toes and allowed gentle pets on his/her head. This sparked my interest again. What if I got a pet tortoise? And now the last 24 hrs I’ve been doing my research! I have an awesome and reputable fish and exotic pet store at my service. I also have a large extra room in my house, southern exposure so nice and warm, for an enclosure.

Anyway, thanks for any welcomes and tips!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Gotta think long term and size. Then go to to the forum car sheets and they will give a very detailed layout. I recommend setting up the enclosure first and get it dialed in and then look for a tortoise. I got my Russian from @CarolS and he is a thriving little stubborn pig!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need to think about space both indoors and out. Even the smallest species needs a minimum of 4’ x 8’. In the wild they roam for miles and that urge is not suppressed in captivity.

They aren’t social and don’t want company, so don’t get talked into buying two unless you can house them entirely separately.

The climate where you are lends you more towards one of the Testudo species, eg Russian, Hermann’s or Greek.

Sulcatas grow rapidly into 100lb+ bulldozers and Leopard tortoises are also very large. Neither can hibernate and both need heated outdoor accommodation in winter.

Please read the following to give you an idea of what is involved. They’re written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care (Care is similar for all Testudo)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

What Species Should I Get?
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-species-should-i-get.123008/

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Gotta think long term and size. Then go to to the forum car sheets and they will give a very detailed layout. I recommend setting up the enclosure first and get it dialed in and then look for a tortoise. I got my Russian from @CarolS and he is a thriving little stubborn pig!
Stubborn and a pig that they are LOL

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome your on the right forum. Don't go surfing the internet there are members here very knowledgeable about the different species.