Hi from Chicago!Baby diamondback questions.

Dan Ortega

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago'Illnois
Hi everyone glad to be here.My pet turtles are two false map turtles that been with me for
Six years. Two baby diamondbacks northerns not sure ,picked them up less than a month ago.
Doing great very active and eating great.Feeding them omega one juvenile pellets,reptomin
Baby pellets and mazuri pellets.Right now they are in a 5 gal.turtle tub outside to get natural sun light.
I have a 45 gal. Tank with a turtle topper.When the Temps. drop here I like to put them in the tank
Inside.My question is would the tank be to deep for them.They are inch and a half in length and growing.
Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Dan, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Is it possible for you to post pictures so that we can confirm the species and see your tub. The number of gallons doesn't tell us the depth.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Dan Ortega Diamondbacks are great swimmers. Some of the strongest swimmers you will find. I do like my hatchlings to get growing and nice and stront and active before putting them into deeper water. So normally about 6 weeks or so in water about twice their shell length in depth. I always keep plenty of plants or fake plants in the water for them to hang on and hide in. They do much better that way. I like to see them scatter and dive into the water, or hide when I approach to indicate good behavior and a strong turtle. That will turn into scrambling over towards you as they get used to you as the bearer of food. I want good, strong activity. Then they will actually enjoy the deeper water of even a full 45 gal tank.

Diamondbacks will really benefit from brackish water. They are terribly prone to skin infections and shell rot in fresh water.

Dan Ortega

Chicago'Illnois
Thank You
@Dan Ortega Diamondbacks are great swimmers. Some of the strongest swimmers you will find. I do like my hatchlings to get growing and nice and stront and active before putting them into deeper water. So normally about 6 weeks or so in water about twice their shell length in depth. I always keep plenty of plants or fake plants in the water for them to hang on and hide in. They do much better that way. I like to see them scatter and dive into the water, or hide when I approach to indicate good behavior and a strong turtle. That will turn into scrambling over towards you as they get used to you as the bearer of food. I want good, strong activity. Then they will actually enjoy the deeper water of even a full 45 gal tank.

Diamondbacks will really benefit from brackish water. They are terribly prone to skin infections and shell rot in fresh water.
Thanks for the information on these guys

Dan Ortega

Chicago'Illnois
Hello, Dan, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Is it possible for you to post pictures so that we can confirm the species and see your tub. The number of gallons doesn't tell us the depth.
As soon as I get some good pictures I'll post them.They have a black moustache on their upper mouth.