Hi From California

Debbijean

Location (City and/or State)
No. California
Hi everyone... new on here from California. I have two CA Desert Torts - four years old - Scout and Torti.
I'm checking to see if anyone knows of this 'weed' in my backyard. Looks like a dandelion, yet someone said a thistle... cannot find any photos of it...an exact photos that is. I did contact a local 'turtle' lady who told me they were dandelions and were safe. Then someone else who insists they're thistles. So now I'm confused. I'm hoping someone can let me know if they recognize this weed. I posted on a WEED forum as well...IMG_6695.jpgIMG_6696.jpg

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
They look like dandelions to me , wouldn't they have some "prickers" along the outside edge of the leaf if they were thistle ? Hi and welcome from the desert !
m0754.gif

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very sorry; cannot help here: am no plant expert.

And a warm welcome to the forum!:) :tort:

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I don't know but they sure look like they have spins to me. My guess is maybe looks like thistle to me. Someone here will be able to identify it.

Debbijean

No. California
They look like dandelions to me , wouldn't they have some "prickers" along the outside edge of the leaf if they were thistle ? Hi and welcome from the desert !
m0754.gif
That's what I thought too! Torti seems okay after eating some yesterday. I just checked them again and yes, there are some little pointy stickers along the sides of the leaves. THISTLE then?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
That's what I thought too! Torti seems okay after eating some yesterday. I just checked them again and yes, there are some little pointy stickers along the sides of the leaves. THISTLE then?
Probably so , the kind that fool you when you grab a handful and get stuck !! :mad: I dont know that they would harm your torts if they are big enough . I think my worst concern might be accidental eye injury .

Debbijean

No. California
Crepis vesicaria. It's a type of dandelion
I'll check it out - thanks. Do you know if it's safe for them to eat? I can't find anything about it. ?? I checked the 'tortoise tables' for good n bad. I don't see it listed.

Last edited: