Hi from a new tort owner

mark pierce

Location (City and/or State)
Limassol Cyprus
hi everyone I bought a tortoise from a pet shop here in Cyprus they were useless On advice so I've turned to you guys as I'm a complete novice but want to care for this little guy or girl in the best possible way ..I have no idea where to start or even what type it is as the shop also had no idea !! Sorry to burden you guys but I want the best for this tort .. I'm happy to post pics if anyone can help with gender and speaces after that I can begin to make a life for him/her let me know if your happy to help thanks in advance

Mark

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark, and welcome to the Forum!

Please post pictures of your new tortoise so we can learn what kind it is, then we'll direct you to the correct information for that species. I'd like to see him from the top looking down, then turn him over so we can see the bottom also looking down. Try to include the tail area as that's how we determine his sex.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @mark pierce and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Please begin by reading the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread. There's a lot of useful info for new tort owners, and ask any question when in need of help.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. As soon as we get some pictures we can assist you in all you need to know.

mark pierce

Limassol Cyprus
IMG_6899.JPG IMG_6900.JPG IMG_6901.JPG Thanks for your warm welcome very impressed , I've had it a day it was actually a present for my daughter as she has learning difficulties and I hoped it is the best form of pet for her , she is actually too scared to touch it yet lol, slowly slowly I guess . Here are a few pics let me know your thoughts , we live in Cyprus medittarrain island with long hot summers 40c Max evening temps of 24c approx but winter can be cold dropping to 5c some days thanks again

Mark

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark: I'm not real good at distinguishing between the Greek and the Hermanns tortoise species, so I'll send an alert to someone who is real good at it - @HermanniChris

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hi Mark: I'm not real good at distinguishing between the Greek and the Hermanns tortoise species, so I'll send an alert to someone who is real good at it - @HermanniChris

This is definitely a Greek tortoise, @Yvonne G. The spurs on the back legs and the somewhat 'hinged' plastron are dead giveaways. I'd imagine Chris will be able to determine the subspecies too though!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you. I'll move it to the appropriate category.

mark pierce

Limassol Cyprus
Any idea if sex ?? I took he/she outside today watched over it , my garden is pretty dry and arid he went mad speeding 20m in about 5 mins , he wants he freedom for sure guess the climate is perfect 30c ... Any advice I will willingly take , since being out it has become very active in their current pen (not outside I'm afraid) cheers mark