Hi, First time tortoise owner, just joined

cj2017

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Anyone that can help us identify what breed cj might be? We found cj in our backyard couple years ago and brought him home as we were sure he would survive the scheduled lawn service. Vet said he looked about 2-3weeks old and was identified as 'spur thigh'. At two cj's shell now looks quite different (much darker) and we were recently told may be a box turtle. We then showed his picture to a reptile store employee and he said it is a Marginated Tortoise. We had never heard of it before so for the past few weeks had been try to google and learn more about Marginated tortoises and seems like his looks and descriptions fits it well to Marginated Tortoise breed. Any expert opinion will surely help. We would like to know what we have so we can provide him the best possible care in our home. At two cj now weighs about 270 grams. No idea if this is the normal weight of 2 year old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's a Greek tortoise (spur thigh, Testudo greca) and could use a bit more humidity than a dry blanket provides.

cj2017

Florida
He's a Greek tortoise (spur thigh, Testudo greca) and could use a bit more humidity than a dry blanket provides.
thank you, will keep it in mind. How humid the box should be? We do soak him about 20-30 mins every day and he does walk into his water bowl before and after eating.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and read the threads for care and enclosure needed for a Greek. Go to species and find Greek. Click on that and the top threads will give you the info. There are many changes you need to do for a proper enclosure. I don't know much about Greeks but I do know your enclosure is not the best.
I hope I am not sounding mean. I just want you to have a great experience with your buddy. Good luck and ask questions.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
There's good solid information here. You're definitely in the right place!

Hello from North Florida, and welcome to the forum! :)