hi everyone

Anthony32

Hi everyone my new is Anthony and I live on Baldwinsville,NY I am going to buy my first tortoise next week. I have finally got all my suplys and set up yesterday. I do ask is there is enough room for a Russian tortoises?image.jpg I used a dolled for size scall don't know if I should take out the basking rock to give more walking room or get smaller food dish???

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Anthony welcome to the TFO from AZ . While your here , why don't you read up on torts so some clerk don't sell you a tort you don't want . And if you like you can read up on enclosures . So stay open minded don't rule any tort out you may even come home with a pancake . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
Looks awfully small to me.
They can bask without a rock. What kind of lighting will you use?
Natural stuff for flooring is better. Use organic soil and or: bark, coconut chips, moss, Timothy hay.
Food dish does not have to stay in enclosure.
Where does that arched door lead?
Welcome aboard. I am a new owner of a Russian and really enjoy him.

Anthony32

Thanks rainsOn I have a zoo med dome lamp for the heat and basking bulbs.....the arched door leads to a hide box where I was going to put coconut chips....thanks forgot I don't need the food dish in there all the time

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Hi Anthony, welcome! Sorry to tell you but there is not even close to enough room for a Russian tortoise in that enclosure. Russians need space. All tortoises do. Can I ask if you chose a Russian after much research or because they are available? My first tortoise was a Russian mostly because I couldn't find a redfoot locally after months of waiting and I was afraid to order online. I ended up giving him away after 5 years to a great home but my point is follow Grandpa Turtles advice and find the tortoise best for you (and don't be afraid to have one shipped if you decide on something you can't find locally.) There is a vendor review section on this forum also that can guide you to reputable breeders. Good luck!

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Be sure none of your bulbs are coils. They cause eye problems.

Anthony32

Hi Anthony, welcome! Sorry to tell you but there is not even close to enough room for a Russian tortoise in that enclosure. Russians need space. All tortoises do. Can I ask if you chose a Russian after much research or because they are available? My first tortoise was a Russian mostly because I couldn't find a redfoot locally after months of waiting and I was afraid to order online. I ended up giving him away after 5 years to a great home but my point is follow Grandpa Turtles advice and find the tortoise best for you (and don't be afraid to have one shipped if you decide on something you can't find locally.) There is a vendor review section on this forum also that can guide you to reputable breeders. Good luck!

Thanks I have done resurch for almost a year now on the turtle and products and have gathered things in that time.....I decided on Russian due to size and experience level and a few things I read about them being more active then other tortoise

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Anthony, we're near neighbors.

It's good you're asking & finding out all this now.

Everything that has been said is important. There isn't nearly enough room in there for an adult, so lose the rock & the food dish. Get a good (expensive) UVB light from Ack's, & coconut coir for substrate. Consider an addition to the tort house, because it's too small. The covered area is also bigger than it needs to be.

Can you make an outdoor area for him, too, for those good summer days?

I don't know where you're planning to get your tortoise, but be aware that almost all stores lie about their animals and the equipment you need. Their business is to sell stuff, and the more you upgrade and replace the better they do.

Anthony32

Anthony, we're near neighbors.

It's good you're asking & finding out all this now.

Everything that has been said is important. There isn't nearly enough room in there for an adult, so lose the rock & the food dish. Get a good (expensive) UVB light from Ack's, & coconut coir for substrate. Consider an addition to the tort house, because it's too small. The covered area is also bigger than it needs to be.

Can you make an outdoor area for him, too, for those good summer days?

I don't know where you're planning to get your tortoise, but be aware that almost all stores lie about their animals and the equipment you need. Their business is to sell stuff, and the more you upgrade and replace the better they do.

Awesome thank you o do have a backyard and am planning on making a pen for the tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anthony, and welcome to the Forum!

Quite a few folks make the mistake of thinking that they want a Russian tortoise because of their small size. But the truth is, even though they are small, they need a whole lot of space...much more than that tortoise house you bought. It is way too small.

Russian tortoises are hard-wired to do a lot of roaming and they cover quite a bit of ground in their search for food. Being cooped up in a small indoor habitat is very stressful on a Russian tortoise. At the very minimum, they should have something like a large book case laying on its back with the shelves removed. Or you could buy two of the biggest plastic tubs you can find and cut out opposing ends and put them together.

But the very best way to keep a Russian tortoise is to fix him an outdoor habitat.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations. it looks like a nice home, but for a baby, an adult likes to roam, with tortoise enclosures, the bigger the better. Mine live outside in a nice big enclosure, and they roam all throughout it.