Hi Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
Hi All. My name is Jessica. My boyfriend and I bought a red footed tortoise about a month ago. Her name is Kali and she is about 4 years old. She weighs about 1lb 6 oz and is about 5 inches long. It has definitely been a learning experience but we love her to death!! We are dealing with a bit of a mild shell rot problem at the moment but we have been treating her with Betadine and Lotrimin and it is clearing up wonderfully. The problem was that we were keeping her substrate too wet to keep up the humidity not realizing that her hide shouldn't be kept as wet as we had it. My only concern right now is feeding. It seems like she is always hungry but I don't want to over feed her. I spent some time today researching the feeding table on the tortoiselibrary website and I think that I have a good idea of what she needs now.

Well, I look forward to chatting with all of you about Kali and all of your pets! I will post some pictures of her soon! She's such a pretty little tortoise! LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jessadawn:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Jessadawn:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

We are in Michigan just north of Detroit!

jeffbens0n said:
Welcome! What did you have the humidity at in her hide and in her enclosure?

We always try to keep the humidity between 70-80. It's hard in the winter in Michigan to keep the humidity up. That's why I think we let things get to wet and caused the start of shell rot. We just purchased a waterfall for her "box" and we've looked into foggers, misters, humidifiers, etc. Any suggestions we be greatly appreciated. We have a 6 ft x 2 ft wooden indoor enclosure for her. We've been experimenting with different substrates but I think we have decided on mulch and sphagnum moss. She seems to like burying herself in the moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.