Hi everyone!

Sarah_sinc

Location (City and/or State)
Birchgrove
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is ok and staying safe in these scary times.
This might be a rather silly and naive question but what do you think is the sex of my tortoise?
The first time.ever when I've picked it up I've seen something "poking" out? The picture is the best I could get but it came out a bit more than that
He/she is a 2 year old Hermann
IMG_20200520_150017.jpg IMG_20200520_152548.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

Your little guy is still a bit too small to correctly sex. All tortoises have female characteristics until they get a little bigger, like more towards sexual maturity. So your little one has a bit more growing to do before we can tell for sure.

But usually when you see something coming out of the tail it's a penis. Very occasionally a female will show inner parts, but mainly males do this.

Sarah_sinc

Birchgrove
Many thanks for your reply! I appreciate any advice and help
I'm a bit concerned what the pink thing was Popping out to say hello?

KronksMom

Illinois
If it went back in fine and your tort is moving around normally and eating normally, I wouldn't be concerned. Boys like their stuff. They just like to pull it out every once in a while. Tortoises and humans aren't too different in that matter I suppose. Even if your tortoise is a girl, and it was actually a prolapse, everything seems to have gone back in just fine. You only really need to be concerned if it keeps prolapsing or if whatever prolapsed can't go back in. But it's far more likely that you just got flashed. Which can be traumatic for the human. They do have some strange anatomy! But your tort is probably just fine.

Sarah_sinc

Birchgrove
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes it went in and out a few times ? and then he stopped his little flashing lol! Shocking behaviour. Lol aw I adore the little thing I do worry something is wrong