Hi, everyone!

SeanH.

My name is Sean and I'm a 27 year old geology student living in Berlin, Germany. My wife and I bought a couple of baby Hermann's about two years ago. Unfortunately both of them died not too long after and we never really figured out what happened to them... Now we feel like we should give it another try with a different species this time around and hope to find some advice here on how to make sure our new family member stays happy and healthy for a very long time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Start with the caresheets under the species you are interested in. Pick one that you can give enough indoor and outdoor space too. Get everything set up and running so temps and humidity are correct. Then purchase one tort not two, tortoises don't do good in pairs, don't want or need a friend and will have to be seperated eventually.

SeanH.

Thanks! Yeah I know we went about it all wrong the first time... :( my wife just has this thing about "saving" pets. We saw them online. A lady was selling them cuz her kids had gotten bored and we didn't know they wouldn't get along. Also in Germany people strongly advice against keeping tortoises alone, so we kind of just went with it... our new baby will definitely be an only child though!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sean, and welcome to the Forum!

Please clear your mind of anything you may have thought you knew about tortoises and read the Beginner Mistakes thread that Tidgy's Dad linked for you. The tortoise-keeping industry has made great strides in the past few years in improving the way we care for our shelled friends. It's way different than it was when I first got into it.

SeanH.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've already been going through the forum like crazy and reading up as much as possible. I just thought it was finally time to ask for some specific advice and I wanted to introduce myself first.