Hi everyone! We need you !! :)

Marym77

Location (City and/or State)
Las vegas
Hello from Las Vegas !
So thankful for this forum !
We, very recently, were gifted a very beautiful desert tortoise and have been researching non stop to make sure she is given the best care possible .
We have no idea how old is she , according to the person who gave it to us, she found it in the street 4 or so years ago and “she seemed to be someone’s pet “ . So she was kept all this time in a Rubbermaid tub with just a bit of sand in it and let roam in a concrete courtyard SOMETIMES .
She has only eaten amazon bought turtle food and kale Every so often . This person told us she wouldn’t survive outdoor living and we don’t know if this is true .
We are in the process of building a large habitat for her and plan to keep her indoor this winter but if you guys think the advice we got it’s wrong we will build her an outdoor habitat asap ! We have also introduced some other green leafy vegetables and she seems to love to eat our grass.
Her name is Kanye lol , we have come to the conclusion she’s a Kim though ! But since her previous owner was a kid that was cancer buddies with our so. , have decided to keep her name to honor his memory !

Looking forward to “meeting” you all !!98E43538-634B-4418-AA14-29A5B330DCEE.jpeg C8BD6AE0-9E1B-49A2-921A-AF509D86EA2D.jpeg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Living outside is best. It wouldn't now survive in the wild, but it will do better outside. Be sure to provide shade. A better diet is needed from the previous owners so keep doing that.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what a beautiful tort! I am new so I will let some senior members give you advice. Kayne looks like a sulcata tortoise so look at the care sheets for that species. Definitely large enough to keep outside with a enclosure to go in at night. Make sure your yard is escape proof. Read about diet and look at some of the enclosures other members have. Tom comes up with some great ones. I guess I ended up giving you some advice lol. Hope I was correct. Good luck with your new companion

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that you're dedicated to giving her good care. She's beautiful! She'd be happiest if she had lots of outside time. Some people can keep them outside all year depending on your weather and your set up. I imagine it's not too hard to do in Vegas. Maybe just a heated space at night. Of course there might be preditors to think about too. I bring my Russian tortoise in at night because I can't protect him from raccoons with his current set up. After reading the care sheets and the "beginner mistakes" threads if you still have questions there are lots of helpful people here. Enjoy your new friend!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Female desert tortoises are few and far between, so I'm betting you new tortoise is male. Be sure to give him a good soak. Sounds like he hasn't seen water in a while.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Kayne is a Desert Tortoise, not a Sulcata.
My bad, I guess I should have stayed with the first part of my post earlier.lol They look identical. Gonna do some research and learn some more. Thanks for the clarification.