Hi everyone! Owner of 2 Egyptians :)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

5 Year Member
Hi everyone.

I would like to introduce you to myself first. My name is Mustafa, I m 21 years old from Egypt, Cairo. I currently study at the German University in Cairo and I m a proud owner of 2 Egyptian tortoises. The female is Sunny and the male is Tooti :p. I own them since approximately 2 years ago. When I got them I wasn't sure about their age, but they were somewhere between 2 and 3 years old as the shop wasn't sure of it's age.

I have a special little story about Sunny. I was doing a training at a company as a medical representative so I had to visit a lot of Pharmacies to advertise a certain medicinal product. By chance, I found a small pet shop so I decided to give a look for what kind of animals he has. By chance I asked him if he had a tort, he replied yes, but was the last one. So I asked him to show me it. As expected, she was in a very cruel shape, trapped in a cage with many rabbits jumping over her, no food, signs of poop over her beak as she ate from her poop forcibly because of hunger and no bathing or whatsoever. So I was willing to pay any price to get her back with me, for a better life. ( I hope I m doing good at this ) :cool: So I bought her for whatever price she was, obviously I got scammed but I was ok with it. Got back home, the moment I added the lettuce, she ran and ate like 4 pieces that day. And ever since, she's growing steadily and has become much larger than the male although they were the same size back then. I love Sunny more than Tooti because she's much more active, tooti is giving me a hard time making him eat, as he sleeps a lot and doesn't like to eat...although his mood changes from time to time.

Attached are their pics, sorry for the long story and I hope I won't be a burden on you guys, and please bare with me because I WILL be having a lot of inquiries. :D Enjoy!

IMAG0119.jpg Sunny on the left and Tooti on the right.
IMAG0101.jpg Sunny eating his favorite lettuce :)
IMAG0115.jpg Together

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome! What a great story. So glad you stopped and asked about a tortoise. As for being a burden on us, are you kidding? We love to answer questions plus we don't get a lot of chances to see Egyptians so we may become a burden on you asking for more and more pictures! Glad your here!

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
Great story. Welcome to the forum Mustafa.

Torts look great.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Mustafa and welcome to the forum, both of your tortoises look very good...

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Wexford, Ireland
Lovely tortoises! and a great story too...... looking forward to hearing more about Sunny and Tooti

Sunny

5 Year Member
@Jacqui: Thanks a lot, I ve learned that Egyptians are near to extinction and that it's rare to find them outside of Egypt, especially they are being hunted down a lot for sale at the black market. You won't believe me if I tell you that they sell there for like 1$ each...thrown on top of each other with inhuman treatment. Probably no food. I ll post new pics whenever there's something worth mentioning and thank you, I ll try to ask then for whatever I can :)
@dbsneed69: Thank you. I ll do my best to keep them in a perfect condition :)
@dalano73: Thanks a lot, glad to hear that, I take care of them as if they were my eyes, I love them :D
@hoopalou: Thank you. I ll try to write about them soon, have loads of pictures enough for that ;) :D

Thanks all for your hard welcoming, I ll do my best to be a cooperative, constructive member. :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Beautiful Egyptian Tortoises! Welcome to the forum!!

Sunny

5 Year Member
@Jacqui: I 've learned that they are endangered species, explains why you don't see them a lot ;). I will do my best to keep them safest and at proper health. I ll post more pictures of them soon, have loads of them so stay tuned ;).

@dbsneed69: Thank you for your encouraging words. I ll do my best to keep them in a perfect condition.

@dalano73: Glad to hear that! Most of the people here keep their torts in the best condition, so I can't fall behind. Very happy that I found this website ;)

@hoopalou: Thank you so much. I will try to post some daily follow up about them and if I come across some sort of troubles of questions.

@AnthonyC: Thanks a lot! Looking forward to see yours too!

@ALDABRAMAN: Thank you so much.

Thank you all for this warm welcome. Very friendly indeed, and I hope to be active, participate and be a part of the community. Lets keep them safe!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mustafa:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

We're glad you found us.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Willkommen im Tortoisefourm!

Your tortoise look great. I personally love the look of egyptian tortoise!! Too bad they're almost extict. I think you did good by rescuing the tortoise, although the seller probably didn't learn out of it, and was happy about the money he got :(

Anyway, looking forwards to see lots of pics of these two!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome....I have to mention, I love the comparison you made " I take care of them as if they were my eyes", very lovely and heartfelt.... we love questions, as with each question presents a learning experience...so never a burden.....

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
@ Ascott - you're right. It's a great comparison.
Thinking about it, we have some similar comparison in German (about: "I'm protecting him/her as my own eyeball" :D - although I haven't heard someone saying it for a long time). I wonder if you'd say something similar in America?

Mustafa, is that a common phrase in Egypt?
I'm just wondering. I'm really interested in language.

Sorry for the off topic. :) Tort pics! (only to get back to the 'topic' - haha)

Sunny

5 Year Member
@emysemys: I m even more glad. I hope we can build a better community together with such friendly GMs are you. :)

@ascott: Hahaha, its true believe me. I even get them food before I eat. Sometimes I have to sacrifice my sleep desire to wake up early and add the food when they wake up early :D, and you are right about questioning. Will do, its an experience for all of us as u have said :)

@Sky2Mina: Hey, I think it's a nice coincidence, because I m learning german too! And so far, I am loving it a great language! Might be asking you about some grammar if you don't mind :p I want to travel and work in Germany after finishing my army service, so wait for me :p. About your question yes, we do use that comparison but much accurately we say "I will make them in place of my eyes" :D, mind writing it to me in German so I can learn too? Thanks a lot! :D

Thank you all for your replies, I ll try to be as active and helpful as possible. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.