Hi everyone, new owner of baby George the horsefield tort

LittleMrsSophieB

Location (City and/or State)
Northumberland
Hi everyone. Just got George yesterday he's only 7months old I'd be greatful for any tips and advice today all George is doing is sleeping under his light is that perfectly normal?

Attachments

• 20181101_110259.jpg
    20181101_110259.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 29

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi, welcome!

Do you mind posting a picture of your setup? What is his diet? What are the temperatures in the enclosure?

Just a tip: Try to give George daily soaks in shallow lukewarm water, just to ensure that he's hydrated.

Best,

Thomas

LittleMrsSophieB

Northumberland
I got him a bag of Italian dark leafy greens as advised off the breeder I got him from I also got a beginners set up table with coco soil and a heat lamp/uvb bulb I'll upload a photo for you... George is buried at the moment I did give him a warm bath for about 15mins then he was out exploring the floors. Thanks for the reply

Attachments

• 20181101_143803.jpg
    20181101_143803.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29

LittleMrsSophieB

Northumberland
No I'm assuming it was made off the people we got him off. My Husband is going to make a larger one and a run for out side for the summer

drew54

Indiana
I would increase his soaks to 30 min each day to ensure hydration

drew54

Indiana
George's face is adorable. All these babies makes me want a kingdom of tortoises.

drew54

Indiana
George's face is adorable. All these babies makes me want a kingdom of tortoises.

I would introduce some fresh grasses, dandelions, and other safe weeds to his diet.

LittleMrsSophieB

Northumberland
Thanks everyone you've all been helpful I will certainly add some weeds to his diet I also grow all my own herbs in the garden such as mint & thyme.. things like that so might add some of those now and again. As for the baths I will dad I be doing that tonight so thanks for that :)

drew54

Indiana
Thanks everyone you've all been helpful I will certainly add some weeds to his diet I also grow all my own herbs in the garden such as mint & thyme.. things like that so might add some of those now and again. As for the baths I will dad I be doing that tonight so thanks for that :)

Spoil your tortoise :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what a cute little guy! Hi George. Being a Horsefield should George need a enclosed container to hold humidity. Maybe someone can answer because George is looking dry to me?

LittleMrsSophieB

Northumberland
He's had a soak in his bath for 30mins. I got told not to have it humid as he doesn't need it and it can cause skin problems and breathing issues
Any more advice on this? Just been to get him a hide which he went straight into...

Attachments

• 20181101_192227.jpg
    20181101_192227.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19

drew54

Indiana

drew54

Indiana
Thanks everyone think I'll spray the soil now and then to keep it a bit moist for him and make sure he's getting plenty of soak time to keep him hydrated:) that was very helpful

Remember spoil your little guy and he will become a tiny tank.