Hi everyone! Need some clarification!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Torts are used to roam around in the wild without boundaries/borders/"red lights" so make sure that the enclosure is nice and large. ;) I would not recommend an enclosure made of glass: torts do not understand the concept of glass, and they'd therefore keep trying to get out.:( An enclosure made of wood is the most suitable, I think.

And a very warm welcome to the forum. :tort:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Also, be ready to receive/read conflicting information.:( Don't allow to confuse you/annoy you.;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Also, be ready to receive/read conflicting information.:( Don't allow to confuse you/annoy you.;)
To reduce the amount of conflicting information, don't jump from site to site. Stay here on this forum. There is more than one right way to do something however most if not all of those right ways are discussed here on this forum. Every situation is a little different, so you have to take the information and the situation that works for you. It'll take a little time to tweak it but especially if you get a hatchling don't take too long. We should have the enclosure ready before you get the tortoise. This includes knowing the temperatures you need the humidity the "furniture".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most pet stores sell pet grass. That's a little pot of live growing grass. Although Hermanns tortoises are broad-leaf eaters, they will nibble a bit on the fresh grass.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I think food is going to be the hardest part for me. I don't think anyone would be happy if I dropped a bunch of weed seeds on the ground but I do have a garden box that I could plant in... I assume it can't be too hard to grow weeds? Don't they just... grow? Maybe I can manage that.

So, what would be the option for the rest of the year when that stuff doesn't grow? Where do people get their greens then? I live in Ontario, Canada and we can have snow from Sept/Oct straight through to May/June. This year for example, it didn't warm up at all until the beginning of June.

@Odin's Gma just recently posted a whole bunch of info on growing food for tortoises on another thread. I bet she will link it here for you.

Here you go! It's long, but it has a lot of tips and resources for indoor gardening for a hungry beast:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/gmas-indoor-winter-gardening-and-sulcata-brag-thread.112815/