Hi everyone! I’m new and in need of some help!

KellyMidd

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi Everyone,

So happy I found this forum. I’ve recently bought two leopard tortoise. I bought them from a selling site and was told they were babies. When I arrived to see them they were a lot bigger than I thought or really wanted at that point. But when I saw the condition the tortoise were living in I just couldn’t leave them there. I was told they were 4-5 years old when I arrived. They were in a wooden tray 22” x 40” with nothing underneath them just a wooden board. Which had quite a lot of excrement in it and was very smelly. A bowl with water and a plate with sliced apple on it. They also had a lamp over one corner with a 15cm shade on it. My plan is to keep them indoors during the cold winter months.
So my questions are if anyone could please help?

What’s the best substrate to put down for this age tortoise?
What temperature to they need to be kept at?
What temperature should the basking area be at?

I would also like to find out if I have males/females. But more than anything what them to be comfortable and happy

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

The first thing you’ll need to do is separate them. Tortoises are solitary, territorial animals, and should never be kept in pairs.

Please give this Care Sheet a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Could you attach some pictures?

KellyMidd

England
Thank you for your reply and the information you have sent I will give this a read. Do I definitely need to split them as they e always been together. They literally sleep, eat and bask together?
I’ll try and add some pictures too

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you for your reply and the information you have sent I will give this a read. Do I definitely need to split them as they e always been together. They literally sleep, eat and bask together?
I’ll try and add some pictures too

The fact that they do everything together is actually one tortoise trying to assert dominance over the other. “Following” is really chasing, “cuddling” and “sleeping together” is really crowding, basking together is them competing for the basking light, and sitting on food is one tortoise not letting the other eat. All of these are not signs of affection, but signs of aggression.

KellyMidd

England
upload_2018-9-7_14-5-34.jpeg
Here they are and this is the box we got them in. We have a new box on the way.
upload_2018-9-7_14-7-58.jpeg

KellyMidd

England
I also noticed there is a black burnt spot at the bottom of the box where I can only think at some point the lamp has been too close or something

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Glad you were able to get them - and now move forward providing some new great digs and lighting and substrate and healthy food and soakings and sll thst jazz! Best of luck.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @KellyMidd .

Cute torts. God bless.

Please separate your torts: these cute little animals do not like company.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're actually quite beautiful. I wonder what it is with leopards and apples. I've taken in several over the years that were given to me with a bag of apples. Oh well. I'm sure you know to not feed fruit to leopard tortoises.

I keep more than one tortoise in the same enclosure, but the big difference is all my enclosures are outside. They have a whole lot of room to wander and there are many sight barriers so the tortoises are not within sight of each other at all times.

They had grown used to each other at their old place, and so seemingly got along ok, but you have changed the dynamic and moved them to a new place. They will no longer get along. You will now have a dominant and a submissive. The submissive will stay hidden a lot, stop eating and become listless. Unless you can set them up outside in a big yard, it would be in their interest to have them in two enclosures.

KellyMidd

England
Thanks Yvonne G this is my plan we have a large garden and are going to set up a big outdoor enclosure. No I knew it was wrong for them to have fruit and have completely cut that out of their diet.

I will also provide two places so they have lots of time apart. As soon as I notice any aggressive or dominant behaviour I’ll completely separate them. There doesn’t seem to be any of it at the minute and I literally haven’t taken my eyes off them I’m slightly obsessed with them (or so my husband tells me).
Thank you for all your advice, information and kind words.

We’re already making plans for their outside enclosure. But for now they're enjoying lots of outside space after being stuck in that tiny box!

upload_2018-9-7_21-8-34.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I put a cam in Opo's hold so I can watch anytime. This morning I couldn't sleep so I watched the ritual Opo goes thru when Opo wakes up.