Hi all!

AliciaB

I'm so excited I found this! I found there is way to much conflicting information on Sulcatas. Our family has two little/giant additions. We live in mideastern Oklahoma. Our weather is crazy to say the least. We have a small farm with 20 acres, we haven't decided on location & size on the future outdoor pen/enclosure yet. I'm in the processes of revising my current set up for our babies, thanks to some of the information I found on this site. I do want them to have a great start with proper care. Don't go crazy on me, I'm changing it. Current set up is 75 gal tank, new Mercury vapor bulb should be here tomorrow, we live in a small town so Amazon is my friend. (only had the coil light for one day when I found this forum and immediately turned it off!!!) I've done a ton of research & this is the first site that stated how bad the coil lights where. Basking light spot 100* cool area averages 80-85. Getting new substrate haven't decided yet what type. I currently have calcium sand, (recommended from where I got him from. I questioned why & was told because they can absorb the calcium & don't have to be supplemented. Also told not to feed on the sand.) Any thoughts suggestion extremely welcome. My grandparents , aunts and uncles all raise Cal desert tortoise for as long as I can remember. They have a couple that are now in the hands of third generation. So this species is completely new to me. Please point me in the right direction. I want what's best for them. Our family also consists of A bearded dragon, fish, cats, dogs, goats, chickens, Guineas, cows & horses. Oh and three kiddos! That are super excited about these two additions! I'm gonna really start looking thru this forum... Thanks Again! Happy to be apart of this group!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I wouldn't use the sand. If you don't want to dump it, mix it with coconut coir or orchid bark. Glad you found out about the coil bulb before you had problems. Not everyone does, but it's not worth the risk. The threads below in my post will help you further with housing, etc.

AliciaB

Thank You. I don't have a problem dumping the sand at all & I will. I was looking at coconut coir and some others in bulk & prices.I have to because we don't make very many trips to Tulsa & I want to have plenty on hand. I also will have to get the humidity right. Where I got them from I asked about humidity & he said he doesn't worry about it & it's never been a problem for him. That being said I will make them a humid hide box also. I'm trying to take in all the info I can. Hopefully it is the best for these little ones ( no names yet )

AliciaB

:( the more I read the more I'm scared for my babies! Just read Toms "hatching failure syndrome " thread. And the one thing that's ringing in my ears is the breeder saying he doesn't worry about humidity. But he did state and made sure to tell me multiple times that I needed to soak them daily. As he soaked them daily. Then the problem I have do I get another one so to have a trio instead of the duo? We have them means and land to keep them all & serperate them all if need be. I feel like such a fool. I gathered all the info I thought I needed on these as conflicting as it is. But this forum has had sooo much more info than I could imagine. If i would of known the info I do know I would not of bought from him. : / I really hope my little ones haven't already suffered. Oh and another thing I was told, is that they are social tortoises hence the reason I bought two. I did do a lot of research & this was the first place where it was stated multiple times they are NOT a social animal, but a solitary one. I'm gonna do my best for these little ones.

Elyce

So Cal
Hi Alicia,
I also have a Sulcata. He's 5 months. I have heard theyre not social but ive also watched videos where theyre very social. I think that some Tortoises might have more character to them then others. My 5 month old sleeps alot when im gone. But when my kids and I get home hes up with us. We go on walks together and I hold him or touch him as much as possible to get him acclamated. Tobe honest he loves it. Ive had a few times where he will walk to my hand and rub against it. Sometimes I think repetivness helps. Mine loves routine. Not sure on your two, and i hope you have one girl and one boy. If both males theyll fight when they get up in age. But i hope yours becomes social and your family enjoys them.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. This is the best and most updated forum to get info. There are many experts and others, on here that are really happy to help you. And they love their torts and turtles. Have a great time with your torts. You can always ask questions, someone will answer, but I will leave that to the more experienced people on here since I am also new to the tortoise too.