Hi all! new UK member here! and my new sulcata TITAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
Hi,

I am new to tortoise keeping although i am an experienced reptile keeper. (snakes and lizards of sorts) Picked up a 4 month old sulcuta yesterday His name is TITAN! saw his dad he was humongous!!! :) . I say 'he' but obviously we don't know yet ahah. I read Tom's thread about pyramiding and humidity and now i have loads of questions. the research i done before all said keep dry ect ect. i have noticed his shell is quite bumpy .. i will include a pics and see what you guys think. also i have him in a viv setup with a basking spot, warm and a cool end until my table gets delivered today. although i have him on wood chips i am going to the store in a minute to get better substrate! Is coco husk okay (powder form) or is there anything specific i should get as i haven't seen coco choir here in the uk :/ is there any threads about how to best set up a table... light/heating positioning ect :)

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) Welcome to the great, crazy world of tortoises. Your little guy is very cute. He does have some pyramiding, but if you get him set up like you read in Toms threads, you can get him growing new growth smooth. When he is much larger, you won't notice the pyramiding as much. Coconut coir, or coco husk which is also from coconuts correct? is good. When you get your table, put the basking light on one end and if needed a ceramic heat emitter on the other. Get the basking to 95+ and the rest of it to no lower the 80 and if you cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the table you should be able to get the humidity to 80%. Soak your guy in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes in warm water. The dry info you have been reading is the old dry way and that's the biggest cause of pyramiding. If you need a refresher on Toms threads, the second thread below, by my signature is Toms sulcata thread.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome :) Welcome to the great, crazy world of tortoises. Your little guy is very cute. He does have some pyramiding, but if you get him set up like you read in Toms threads, you can get him growing new growth smooth. When he is much larger, you won't notice the pyramiding as much. Coconut coir, or coco husk which is also from coconuts correct? is good. When you get your table, put the basking light on one end and if needed a ceramic heat emitter on the other. Get the basking to 95+ and the rest of it to no lower the 80 and if you cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the table you should be able to get the humidity to 80%. Soak your guy in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes in warm water. The dry info you have been reading is the old dry way and that's the biggest cause of pyramiding. If you need a refresher on Toms threads, the second thread below, by my signature is Toms sulcata thread.

Thankyou! I will follow toms amazing advice and what you said! regarding covering alot of the table tho. how could i do that efficiently with the lights still having full effect? you answered another of my questions i needed to ask too about bathing :) i was going to ask if i should everyday! although what is the best temperature to bath him in?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.... you have a very cute tort who will soon be too enormous for a table. What are your winter plans when he gets big?

The best bath temperature is the one he likes :) Soak him first thing in the morning before he has warmed up properly and he's more likely to lay back and relax.

Experiment with warm, not hot, water until you find something he is happy with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kyloh, and welcome to the Forum!

Kylohx

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Hello and welcome.... you have a very cute tort who will soon be too enormous for a table. What are your winter plans when he gets big?

The best bath temperature is the one he likes :) Soak him first thing in the morning before he has warmed up properly and he's more likely to lay back and relax.

Experiment with warm, not hot, water until you find something he is happy with.

Thankyou i shall have to find what he likes the best! I plan to build him an outdoor heated enclosure if he is big enough by this winter. If he is still small enough to keep indoors i would have made him something to match his size by then!

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Where in the Sunny UK you located? Also I bought a 50l bag of coco coir from amazon, cost like £15 including delivery, took 2 days to arrive.

Welcome to the forum

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I want to steal the name Titan from you for my sulcata I haven't been able to name! So cute!

Kylohx

5 Year Member
ScottishFish said:
Where in the Sunny UK you located? Also I bought a 50l bag of coco coir from amazon, cost like £15 including delivery, took 2 days to arrive.

Welcome to the forum

in Essex lol! i grabbed a brick from the local seapets for £3.50 :) should make enough for this time round but i shall look at the stuff from amazon! :D. that's fast delivery!

Kylohx

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
I want to steal the name Titan from you for my sulcata I haven't been able to name! So cute!

thankyou! well it was out of Titan, Thor or Baggins but we went with Titan! if he turns out to be a girl... Titania lol!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Hi all! new UK member here! and my new sulcata TITAN!

Kyloh said:
lkwagner said:

thankyou! well it was out of Titan, Thor or Baggins but we went with Titan! if he turns out to be a girl... Titania lol!!

I'm pretty sure there's a male sulcata called Sarah on here :D

clucey

5 Year Member
Welcome.....Titan is cute...here is Tank....only one plant got mowed down today !!!!! Yippee...I still have one plant and a half that he hasnt touched....yet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1370402700454.jpg
    1370402700454.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 21

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Keep your tort safe. Read the below thread by Tom.

Kylohx

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Hi and welcome. Keep your tort safe. Read the below thread by Tom.

Thankyou! of course i shall keep him nice and safe! that thread was quite heartbreaking :(

clucey said:
Welcome.....Titan is cute...here is Tank....only one plant got mowed down today !!!!! Yippee...I still have one plant and a half that he hasnt touched....yet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Thankyou! tank is awesome! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.