Hi all new first time tortoise owner

Blake P

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hi I live in Southern California and the weather has been in the mid 80F this week and expected to be in the 90F as we get further into summer. I received my baby cherry head about 2 days ago, he/she is 6months old, my question is about how many minutes a day in sunlight is enough for me to discontinue using my UVB bulb in its indoor enclosure for the time being. I only have a 15w uvb/uva tube light and it’s pushing my temps to 88F and 90F in some areas plus I don’t think he cares for the light being on as he doesn’t come out of his hide at all and runs back in as soon as he is done with breakfast. I would be out there with him of course for whatever recommended minutes then just bring him back in their enclosure with the CHE on in case temps drop to below 80F.
thanks in advance for any advice and I apologize for the lengthy description.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
If you can get him outside for some sun a few ours a week then u wont need the uvb

Blake P

Southern California
If you can get him outside for some sun a few ours a week then u wont need the uvb
Thank you for the reply! I plan on just taking him out daily and sticking him in a good size Costco box and an outdoor hide in case he gets too hot. I spend majority of my time in my backyard just chillin and just hanging out with him daily for I don’t know like 10 minutes?? It would be kickass ?

Blake P

Southern California
Do u have ur CHE on a thermostat ?
Yeah I have it rigged to turn on if it gets below 80. I know they don’t care for direct light as in the wild, the rain forest kind of shields the light a little maybe getting those fake vines to hide the light better just thinking how to make them connect to the sides without falling down and to not effect the uvb during our “winter” months if you can even call it that here.