Hi All! My name is Bev.

TurtzInMyYard

Location (City and/or State)
AL
Thanks so much for sharing!

Jamie
Thank you Jamie! The first order of business in the morning are the Turtz, even if it is 5:45 AM. No matter what time I wake up, the first thing I do is go outside and see if my turtz are foraging. If so, I give them wedges of watermelon, or apples or cantaloupes. They tend to favor apples, cantaloupes and watermelon over squash, cucumbers and even strawberries.

They will eat the strawberry, but it will become mush under their feet if the other fruits are there. I'm learning SO much that I never even wondered about.

Thanks again, Jamie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Angie! Kind of you to say. Forgive me, I am a prolific writer. Brevity is beyond me. I tend to go on...and on. But, hey, if you don't mind reading lengthy dissertations about romancing the turtles, I'm your gal!

I really will be looking forward to Spring to see 'who' returns, who doesn't and I'll be keeping a keen eye out for new unmarked units...LOL Thanks again
I very much enjoyed your writing - living in the UK ,turtles are totally unfamiliar to me,and so it was extremely interesting. Thank you again -and I hope to hear more from you again soon !!
Angie

TurtzInMyYard

AL
I very much enjoyed your writing - living in the UK ,turtles are totally unfamiliar to me,and so it was extremely interesting. Thank you again -and I hope to hear more from you again soon !!
Angie
You're so very kind. Live in the UK? Where? The closest I have ever come to the UK is when I visited Australia a couple of years ago. There are no turtles in the UK?

It gives me a thrill to know you enjoyed my writing as that is what I do. I've never been published anywhere noteworthy, but have been encouraged my entire life to pursue the occupation. Two or three years ago I decided to try it. The publishing business is hugely disappointing. They want you to jump through TOO many hoops, and to quote one publisher, "We STRICTLY observe and enforce the use of the Oxford Comma."

Well bloody good for you, ya wanker!

What happened to submitting your work, they love the piece, and they do the editing? Honestly, the Oxford Comma. As much as I use it, 'it' does NOT define my work. I DO NOT adhere to all grammatical rules. I use punctuation like composers use notes. It's called free speech. I can use a comma any way I see fit -- even if it didn't come from Oxford...lol

Thanks again, I really appreciate the warm fuzzies.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Your story writing is fantastic. I was able to play the images out in my head as I read along. You’re talented and I have to say, I’m getting a little invested in the turtles who are visiting your yard. I too hope you’ll continue sharing you journey with us!

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Your story writing is fantastic. I was able to play the images out in my head as I read along. You’re talented and I have to say, I’m getting a little invested in the turtles who are visiting your yard. I too hope you’ll continue sharing you journey with us!
Krista S, how lovely it is to be well complemented! Thank you. I've been told many times I have a writing talent by family and friends, but hearing this from a complete stranger is actually very gratifying! The down side to being a proliferative writer is that you have ZERO measure of brevity. I give dissertations. So, immense thanks for taking the time to respond.

Turtz

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Krista S -- should I start a thread just for me and my turtz? Not sure how this works. And how would others find the thread? I think my turtle journey would be far more interesting if other members were also interested. At the same time, there are probably others who would not give a tinker's arse to hear about it. Suggestions? And thank you for your response! Cheers............

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Krista S -- should I start a thread just for me and my turtz? Not sure how this works. And how would others find the thread? I think my turtle journey would be far more interesting if other members were also interested. At the same time, there are probably others who would not give a tinker's arse to hear about it. Suggestions? And thank you for your response! Cheers............
If you want to continue on with telling your turtle journey, I think starting fresh with a new thread is a good idea. Mostly becuase this one is in the “Introductions” section. You could come up with a crafty title for the new thread and continually add to it. Those who enjoy that kind of thing can follow the thread and those who are more of the “tinker’s arse” ? variety don't have to read it, and that will be there loss! You can pick which section of the forum you think your thread should live in.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you. I just started an ongoing hobby of turtle watching. I have nine. I just saw two of them mating on Aug 18. Isn't this a bit late???

Hey! Hey! ….Whoa… whoa!!!!
You WHAAAT????
You watched them mating???

You should have minded your manners!!!
turned your head, left a pack of cigarettes
and put on a little disco music!
Maybe ?…. Donna Summer
“I feel love” ????

Then… skedaddled!
How rude! ?

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Hey! Hey! ….Whoa… whoa!!!!
You WHAAAT????
You watched them mating???

You should have minded your manners!!!
turned your head, left a pack of cigarettes
and put on a little disco music!
Maybe ?…. Donna Summer
“I feel love” ????

Then… skedaddled!
How rude! ?
Now why should I do such a novel thing as that? I can mind my manners but I CANNOT turn my head. It was rather like the scene of an accident, you always want to know who ends up on top, or who walks away.

Ima turtle voyeur....

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Krista S, how lovely it is to be well complemented! Thank you. I've been told many times I have a writing talent by family and friends, but hearing this from a complete stranger is actually very gratifying! The down side to being a proliferative writer is that you have ZERO measure of brevity. I give dissertations. So, immense thanks for taking the time to respond.

Turtz
Actually, you are one of many on this forum--excellent writers. Try reading Tom's thread on falconry or Maggie3fan.
Now why should I do such a novel thing as that? I can mind my manners but I CANNOT turn my head. It was rather like the scene of an accident, you always want to know who ends up on top, or who walks away.

Ima turtle voyeur....
We all gotta be something. Or was it "Hey lady, your sign fell down"?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Actually, you are one of many on this forum--excellent writers. Try reading Tom's thread on falconry or Maggie3fan.
@jsheffield is also an excellent writer, @TurtzInMyYard Check out this thread about his most recent book!!

Lilliana21

Nappanee
Hello! I have nine turtles who cruise through or live on my property. They are all wild. I do not KEEP them in containers. They are free to come and go. This year I wondered if these turtles are the same ones or different. I marked each one I found with a distinct mark and have been observing them all spring and summer. Hope to learn a bunch on this site. Happy turtling!
Hello, That is so nice that you live where you can do this. I bet you will learn a lot. you are so lucky. Good luck.

TurtzInMyYard

AL
@jsheffield is also an excellent writer, @TurtzInMyYard Check out this thread about his most recent book!!

Thank you! I love reading the work of excellent writers as it improves my own writing. I wrote a short story about my father, and for those who know my father well, they said what I wrote about him was authentic to his nature. In fact, they said the manner in which I told the story caused them to see him from a heartwarming perspective. My father is a 'good ole boy' from down south. A simple man, his formal education was cut short but his wisdom more than compensates. I am so blessed to still have both my parents alive and aging. They live in Arkansas so I am hours away which is hard when you lived your entire life with your family just minutes away.

I look forward to reading the work of others. Thank you so much! Cheers!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
You're so very kind. Live in the UK? Where? The closest I have ever come to the UK is when I visited Australia a couple of years ago. There are no turtles in the UK?

It gives me a thrill to know you enjoyed my writing as that is what I do. I've never been published anywhere noteworthy, but have been encouraged my entire life to pursue the occupation. Two or three years ago I decided to try it. The publishing business is hugely disappointing. They want you to jump through TOO many hoops, and to quote one publisher, "We STRICTLY observe and enforce the use of the Oxford Comma."

Well bloody good for you, ya wanker!

What happened to submitting your work, they love the piece, and they do the editing? Honestly, the Oxford Comma. As much as I use it, 'it' does NOT define my work. I DO NOT adhere to all grammatical rules. I use punctuation like composers use notes. It's called free speech. I can use a comma any way I see fit -- even if it didn't come from Oxford...lol

Thanks again, I really appreciate the warm fuzzies.
Hello again from the UK. I had to look the Oxford Comma up, as I had never heard of it before, despite living in Oxford for some time !! I gather that it is what we call a serial comma, and that it can be used or not - no big deal. I think what that publisher said to you was very offensive, as obviously you would be capable of using it by instinct if appropriate, since your writing is so very fluent. How dare he criticise you like that !
To answer your query, I live in Devon, in the southwest of England, a few miles from the sea - I wish we lived right next to it, but that sort of place is very expensive. However, we go there most days, taking our little tortoise, who loves to watch the waves. He is there right now, with my husband Richard, who may be paddling in the water, holding Zola well above it, of course. There is some lovely countryside here too - moors, and green fields full of sheep or cows - and lots of wild flowers in the spring. No turtles or tortoises of any kind, though.
I think you are obviously a talented writer, - maybe you could keep a daily diary about your turtle friends, which you could later make into a book, and try to get it published A year in their lives, perhaps ? I would certainly love to read it.
Best wishes from Angie