Hi all! Is it ok if we discuss stuff about turtles?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Of course it's ok to talk turtles! In fact, I'm moving this thread to our turtle section.

Now I don't mean to scare you, but what you're keeping your babies in is what we call the turtle death bowl.

Turtles are cold blooded. They need warmth to digest their food. If they're not warm enough, they won't eat. Living in your warm house doesn't get them warm enough. They need either the sun or a light that simulates the sun.

You've come to us in the nick of time. Until you can get some money saved up, do you have a desk lamp you can position over the enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they need to be able to sit in the "sun" (light) to warm up. Most turtles won't bask while you're watching them as they don't feel safe out of the water. So the water temperature should be about 75F to 80F, and a landing dock where they can sit under the light. If the room they're in is kept at about 78F degrees, then your water is probably warm enough. If the room temperature gets any lower than that, so does the water temperature, and you'll need a water heater.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Great looking turtles. I would hate to think how many of those I had as a kid. Never had any luck with them because of the care I gave them. No TFO let alone internet back then. :(P.S. and welcome

Owneroftwoturtles

Singapore
Is it ok if I don't get a filter? I change the water every night after their dinner and in the afternoon. For the basking lamp,I use a desk lamp. As for the heater I'll have to save up money for it

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
You can do that until you have enough for a filter but the filter is really worth it. You will only have to change the water once a week.

My aquarium has one of these heaters they are not that expensive

Attachments

• IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 23

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Best of luck, stick around! You won't find a better place to get help.
What are they eating?