Hi All. I am new and confused. (what kind of tortoise?)

kfish7800

Today is my birthday!
The internet is so full of confusing and conflicting information. I have wanted a tortoise for a long time and I believe that I now have a great yard for one and also a large garage where I can put a good sized pen with the heating elements that I will need.

However, I am conflicted as to what type of tortoise I want. Please help. Here are some details about the climate where I live.

South East Texas - Very Humid all the time. Temps get as low as 30 F in the winter and get into the 90's in the summer. I live on a canal, but my yard is totally fenced and there is no way to dig out. It is tropical with plumeria, palms and plenty of green grass. We have a living area under the house with outdoor furniture and spend almost every evening and weekends outside. The garage is not used for our cars, so plenty of area for a large pen with all the fix'ins inside. I also have an outside pen that is perfect for use when the weather is right.

So what is the best tortoise for me? My top 3 are (1) Sulcata, (2) Yellow Leg, (3) Red Leg. What do you all think?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
The only information I can give you is that sulcata's once they get bigger, can be very destructive.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Sounds like a good set up for any you have picked. Sulcatas do need a really large area once grown. How big can you go? Also, please read up on bulling if you plan on getting more than one. Torts do not generally do well in pairs. Groups do fine with one male & multi females with enough space. Good luck :)

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Welcome! Sounds like you have plenty of room for a sulcata ! We love our big girl! Tons of personality and entertainment! Ours is not a big digger but at times pushes the furniture around or opens the sliding door to let us know she needs treats! If you have strawberries she will just about knock you over to get to them!

Not biased at all!!! Lol
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401757616.259778.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Stick to the info you receive on this forum and you won't go wrong. Below are Toms great threads on raising sulcatas. The leopards threads and care are pretty much the same as a sulcata.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. And looks like you already get some help. I'm glad that you are here now and this is a great place to learn and share.

Welcome! ! ! ! !!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have red footed tortoises, sulcatas and one leopard . I live in the Houston area . A red foot is what I started with . Reds are awesome little torts . Have great personalities . The sulcatas are awesome to . But they get big . I keep my sulcata outside year round . I made him a heated tortoise house . They need alot of room to move around and grass to munch on . Here are some pictures of my reds and sulcata setups .

Attachments

• 1401761591738.jpg
    1401761591738.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 1401761609330.jpg
    1401761609330.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 1401761637976.jpg
    1401761637976.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1401761669205.jpg
    1401761669205.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1401761703999.jpg
    1401761703999.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 1401761747773.jpg
    1401761747773.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 1401761784293.jpg
    1401761784293.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 1401761810067.jpg
    1401761810067.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 48

kfish7800

Today is my birthday!
Welcome! Sounds like you have plenty of room for a sulcata ! We love our big girl! Tons of personality and entertainment! Ours is not a big digger but at times pushes the furniture around or opens the sliding door to let us know she needs treats! If you have strawberries she will just about knock you over to get to them!

Not biased at all!!! Lol
View attachment 82432

Thank you for the wonderful picture. She is a beautiful tortoise. How old and how big is she?

kfish7800

Today is my birthday!
I have red footed tortoises, sulcatas and one leopard . I live in the Houston area . A red foot is what I started with . Reds are awesome little torts . Have great personalities . The sulcatas are awesome to . But they get big . I keep my sulcata outside year round . I made him a heated tortoise house . They need alot of room to move around and grass to munch on . Here are some pictures of my reds and sulcata setups .
Thanks for the information and the pictures. What a happy place. I really like your habitat.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Thank you for the wonderful picture. She is a beautiful tortoise. How old and how big is she?

Delilah is almost 7! She weighs 50 lbs right now but not for long! 19 in long and 14 wide. She is a pillar in our family even to our extended family and friends! Everyone expects Delilah to be here, we couldn't imagine not having her. She holds our hearts for sure!

We love all of our torts but we have had her the longest. I believe our leopard tortoises are addictive! We have three hatchlings currently and I'm completely infatuated with their amazing shells! Each is different with unique patterns and color! They don't get as large as the sulcata but a nice size.

Our Russians are entertaining! Full of energy, constantly climbing or will walk through or over the top of anything in their pen! They don't get anywhere near as big.

We do have three other sulcata hatchlings that we are raising for family until they can go in their yards.

Here in Phoenix, Sulcatas are everywhere. We don't need to help the population. With being teachers we have quite a few that are given to us each year so we keep getting them started till they are ready for a good home.

We had quite a few others as well and once we found the forum we realized that we had adjustments to make in their care, meaning in their habitats and overall care to make sure we were supporting happy torts! So we adopted out the others to loving homes and are able to assist if needed!

It sounds like you have a great space that will be a fabulous tortoise environment! The best thing we could have done was to read the threads on enclosures, care and night boxes. We have some very knowledgable members that have done all the trial and error for us. I'm thankful you were able to have the opportunity to embrace the information before you begin your tort journey! They are fabulous creatures!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401875606.417855.jpg

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
I'm batman!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where in Texas do you live Batman?