hi all, a little help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
welcome shaun, thats one cute little tort! looks like a sulcata to me. i'm no expert though. others on here will know more definitively

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you josh, he needs a little wash lol, he is got a little dirty on his shell, i want to know which tort it is because i might be giveing it the wrong things to eat, at the min he is eating loads of greens from the super market

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi Shaun, can you get a photo of his plastron (bottom shell / belly?)
I can definately identify him then.
Also get him outta that glass tank.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
what do you mean by get him out the glass tank? get a wood one? i can build one if its the wrong thing, wait a fue mins why i go take some pics ;)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tortoises do not do well in glass aquariums, they do not get enough circullation and other problems as well. You could either build a wood one or you can get the big rubbermaid tote (90gal) they work great.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
lol cool, do you know where i can read a care sheet about them please ;)

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Congrats! you gots a Gold Greek tortoise.
He may stay like that color, or get brighter or darker.
And may even form markings.

Do get a better enclosure...a golden greek needs to be fed on nothing but Weeds, Plants, Flowers and greens.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cool, im from the uk so can i just get greens from the garden and feed him and go to the shop and get him some greens from there, im getting £50 of my nan in the next fue days so i will go and build his new home, how high do the sides have to be on the cage? and whats the best size L x W x H? i will post the the build pics soon ;)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The greeks, no more then a $100 dollars in the US. As for they enclosure the bigger the better is my motto. I would say minimum 4x4x2 high that way you only have to build one, but if you can go bigger I would. Make sure you protect the wood so it does not get rot.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i would rather build bigger as it grows, on the care sheet its says 3ft x 2ft when small, thanks for all your help ;)

B

Bansh88

Always make the enclosure as big as you possibly can.
Get him some sunlight as often as possible too.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
more help please, do you poeple use bulbs for heating? but mine is in my room so if i use a heating bulb how will i keep it warm at night when i turn it off when im sleeping? at the min its on top of my snake cage and its keeping it warm at one end about 30c.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
For torts that are indoors you need two bulbs, 1 for basking/heat and 1 for uvb. They lights can go off at night and you don't have to worry as long as your enclosure does not drop below 70 degrees at night. During the day you want your basking end to be around 90 degrees and your cool end in the upper 70's. Make sure you have both bulbs pointing at the same spot. Another option which is a little pricey but well worth it is a mega or maga ray bulb. It is a heat/basking/uvb all in one, and people I have talked to about these bulbs say thier torts and turtles are a lot more active with these bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.