Hi after a little advice

Paul H

Location (City and/or State)
Rotherham
Purchased my tortoise around 4 months ago still not sure on age I think around 1 or 2 and believe it's a female.
She has been kept in a large tortoise table with a bedding area and heat lamp and heatlamps.
I believe she is a horsefield breed.
We have built her a run outside with a rabit hutch and bedding area which when the weather is good we put her outside.
Recently doesn't matter if she is in or out she just goes into the bedding areas sometimes for maybe two days before coming out.
When she's out she has a wander around then goes back and goes to sleep.
First question is do you think I need to take her to see a vet?
2nd question as I would prefer her to get as much time outside is is ok to leave her out at night what is the min tempreture I should leave her in? Any help would be appriacate thanks

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I’m not sure about your 1st question but for your second, horsefield tortoises are very tolerant of temperatures. Some other species are not, if you post some pictures of your tortoise then we will be able to tell you if she indeed is a horsefield tortoise. If she is than she can stay outside at night.

Paul H

Rotherham
I’m not sure about your 1st question but for your second, horsefield tortoises are very tolerant of temperatures. Some other species are not, if you post some pictures of your tortoise then we will be able to tell you if she indeed is a horsefield tortoise. If she is than she can stay outside at night.
Hi thanks for your reply I have posted three pics one of the tortoise one of the setup indoors and one for the setup outdoors.
Indoors has a mix of sand and wood chip.outside is concrete and in the hutch hay and wood chip but no heating outside.at the moment bringing her/him in at night then putting out in day if warm any info would be appriacated thanks

15922504201852293616043756802739.jpg15922504660876145005659315659924.jpg15922504905085657956210992871800.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This will help:

Paul H

Rotherham
Hi thanks for this just read it all the way through and if I am correct I think I have many things wrong.
Below is some of the advise I have been given and if I am reading the link you sent me most of what I have been advised is wrong.
1/ use sand and wood chip as substrate horesfields do not like grass and if the grass is damp it will cause respiratory problems.
2/ feed mainly kale and not too much fruit as it will give the tortoise diarrhoea
3/ make sure the sand is warm and dry to avoid any respiratory problems.
4/ keep at a tempreture of around 22 to 25 degrees.
I will read the thread again tmrw but even the lamp I have posted on the picture seems overkill and I think I am certainly keeping my tortoise too dry thanks