Hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjc

5 Year Member
Hey everyone!

I'm gonna be the owner of a adult Yellow Foot tortoise soon in Portland Oregon!

I'm very excited to own a Tortoise. When I was little I had a Russian Tortoise and a Red Ear Slider, but had to give them away when my family decided to move.

I've been saltwater reef hobbyist for a couple years and always wanted to have a tortoise again.

The beginner mistakes page was very helpful, but I know ill have many more questions to ask.

Before I get the tortoise, I'm trying to make his indoor enclosure as perfect as I can :). So far I have built a 4x6 wood enclosure with tarp taped/stapled to the inside to avoid mold in my garage. Mixed potting soil and peat moss for the substrate. I plan to have 1 heat bulb on 24/7, 1 mvb and 1 t5 fixture I had for a fish tank for grass/ other plants.

Ill get pictures when I get the light bulbs installed, and a thermometer gun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tjc:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Portland, huh? We have quite a few Pacific Northwesterners on the forum. Glad to have you with us!!!

What would you like us to call you?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Welcome. SE Pdx here....! Any questions hit us up.... oh and if you wondered, all feed stores (in pdx) that can get Mazuri will but are making customers pay shipping. Oh and it takes a month to get from their suppliers. Unless you know of 1 that I don't know of?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum, we have great threads you can browse thru and read :)

tjc

5 Year Member
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! Sorry for the late reply!

Emysemys - My name is Torry :). Glad that theres some pnw people here! Easier to ask where to get things.

Tyrus4u - thanks for the info. Luckily I live near a feed store.

Promise to get pics soon :)

tjc

5 Year Member
Hey here are the pics! I don't have her yet as I am still a little worried about heating.
IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

I had a few questions:
1. I was told its a female. Pretty sure that it is, whatcha guys think?
2. I have a heating problem :(. Since decided to have the tortoise in my garage I'm finding it hard to heat. The garage is currently 60 degrees, outside its 58 degrees. To achieve a constant 70-75 degrees should I add a couple CHE bulbs around the enclosure or buy a space heater. So far I have 1 100w Zoo Med CHE that isn't doing much. The CHE is heating the area under it well, but not anything around at all. I'm worried mainly about the winter.
3. Would it be a good idea to add a basking bulb along with my MVB pointing at the same spot? or would that be overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.