Hey! (with photos!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hello!

I am an animal lover who currently lives in NJ.

At reptile shows, I love looking at the turtles and torts and always thought that I'd enjoy caring for one. I came *this close* to purchasing a baby leopard at a pet store today in NY. I don't usually buy animals that I know nothing about before doing research (or purchase them at stores these days), so I was able to turn the AMAZINGLY cute animal away. It also helped that he was priced at over a hundred dollars more than what they were selling them for on Kingsnake (yes, it helps to have an iphone!!). I am always convinced... however... that all animals would have a better home with me than with most others!! ;) I'm sure some of you feel the same way!

Upon coming home, I was Googling info on Leopards and they still interest me. I'll look around your forums here to learn more. Perhaps this tort isn't the best idea for me because of my climate? I'll search more on here!

I live on a horse farm in NJ. I'm also a small time breeder of Rhacodactylus geckos, mainly Rhacodactylus ciliatus (the Crested Gecko). Right now, there are about 50 of them living in my bedroom. Almost all of them are in their own individual enclosures! I try to breed the best quality geckos in order to better the geckos available to other collectors, breeders and pet owners. I also keep Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Gargoyle gecko) and Paroedura pictus (Panther gecko). I'm sure I won't stop there! I also am passionate about fish keeping and am a mod on a fish forum where I give people advice on their own tanks. My ideal home would have a room for reptiles...a room for my fish... and display tanks all over the place! For now, my boyfriend attempts to keep his sanity... and I have about two dozen dry tanks in the basement.

I'll include some photos!

I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you all a little better!

A couple of my most recent hatchlings. These eggs were laid on the fourth of July and managed to hatch together. Cresteds will lay a clutch of two eggs every month during their breeding season.

july4th3.jpg

This is one of my favorite cresteds. She's a bright red girl who is HUGE... tipping the scales now at about 55 grams. She's got really nice head structure for coming from a red line...

redgirl.jpg

This is Gary, the Gargoyle Gecko who was sent to me as skin and bones. He probably wasn't fed for a few months when I got him. He's doing well now and will eat on his own, although it's still cute as heck to feed him with the syringe...

garyat45g.jpg

A Super Dalmatian Red Male... His name is Pepper...

redspot2.jpg

Spot, who is a flighty little girl with fun splotches...

spot20.jpg

One of my most gentle young girls...
pepper202.jpg

This is my handsome mini-schnauzer:

watsontable.jpg

One of the horses.... Fanny...

ccsun.jpg

Ack! I could keep going with my photos of the many animals that live with me, but I'll stop for now. Thanks for reading and looking!

Nice to meet you :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
annie, welcome to the forum. Nice animals you have. :) And happy to hear your doing your research first :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Are you on the pangea forums? Some of those pics look familiar! Welcome! I have the crestie addiction as well. 8 and counting. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Annie:

26845aoofqptms3.gif

to the forum!

In my opinion, if your tortoise is able to spend part of the year outside, then your climate is ok for a tortoise. I believe they should live outside to receive the healthful benefits of the sun and feeling "free." I don't know the weather in NJ, but it looks like you have sunshine at least part of the year. Then for the cold months, you would have to set up an indoor habitat. When a tortoise has lived outside for a bit, its a little harder to bring him indoors and have him settle down, but if you make a large enough indoor habitat it can be done.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum Annie. Wow - great looking animals, great photography! If you'd like to learn more about Leopard tortoises and their needs, I like the www.africantortoise.com. There is a section there about keeping them in colder climates (if that applies to your area). Have fun:)

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Welcome annie! You have 50 crested geks? That's awesome! They remind me of Jurassic park. Hah:)

Status
Not open for further replies.