Hey guys I need a little bit of help

Lee01

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hey guys so I've owned a Russian tortoise for quite some time now and I want to expand my knowledge of tortoises, So I decided I want to purchase a Sulcata tortoise. I've been looking through other species of tortoises and I've given it much thought.

The issue I'm facing is I can't find anywhere in Ireland to get a sulcata tortoise. I've checked online for hours but I've had no luck sourcing anywhere that ships to Ireland. Does anybody know a Sulcata breader that could sell me a healthy tortoise, Of course the tortoises health comes first.

nicoleann2214

NY
Hey guys so I've owned a Russian tortoise for quite some time now and I want to expand my knowledge of tortoises, So I decided I want to purchase a Sulcata tortoise. I've been looking through other species of tortoises and I've given it much thought.

The issue I'm facing is I can't find anywhere in Ireland to get a sulcata tortoise. I've checked online for hours but I've had no luck sourcing anywhere that ships to Ireland. Does anybody know a Sulcata breader that could sell me a healthy tortoise, Of course the tortoises health comes first.
There are a lot of good breeders on this forum, try talking to @Tom!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

Before u decide.. u do know they need a huge enclosure, they will tear ur yard a part, trying to keep them warm in winter is going to be like hell on wheels, they poop like crazy( like trying to keep a cow indoors once they’re adults.. other than that they are amazing.. besides the electric bill lol

Lee01

Ireland
Before u decide.. u do know they need a huge enclosure, they will tear ur yard a part, trying to keep them warm in winter is going to be like hell on wheels, they poop like crazy( like trying to keep a cow indoors once they’re adults.. other than that they are amazing.. besides the electric bill lol
Ahahahaha I know I've spent the last 2 months binge watching tortoise videos and how to care for Salcutta tortoise videos ahahaha. I think I watched half of the videos on YouTube ahahaha. I've got a pretty big back yard and loads of space for when he/she gets that big ahaha. Have thought of everything, Just finding an available tortoise is my problem ahahaha

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ahahahaha I know I've spent the last 2 months binge watching tortoise videos and how to care for Salcutta tortoise videos ahahaha. I think I watched half of the videos on YouTube ahahaha. I've got a pretty big back yard and loads of space for when he/she gets that big ahaha. Have thought of everything, Just finding an available tortoise is my problem ahahaha

Maybe check in with @Bee62 in Germany. She has a few Sullys and Aldabras and might have a good European connection.

Good luck finding one. I think you might find it difficult to maintain proper outside temps there in Ireland. Inside is fine for the first two years, but outside is going to be hard there & keep good temps. (I think).

Lee01

Ireland
Maybe check in with @Bee62 in Germany. She has a few Sullys and Aldabras and might have a good European connection.

Good luck finding one. I think you might find it difficult to maintain proper outside temps there in Ireland. Inside is fine for the first two years, but outside is going to be hard there & keep good temps. (I think).
Thank you so much, And yes that's going to be the main challenge. But recently it's been alot hotter in Ireland over the past few years (I don't know whether that's a good thing or not) but I will make sure that the tortoise has everything it needs!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This is because your climate is completely unsuitable for them and everyone knows it. Do your day times highs ever get above 30 C? It doesn't matter how large you yard is if its cold and overcast for 11 months of every year.

If you want a sulcata, you should move to a more suitable climate.

Lee01

Ireland
This is because your climate is completely unsuitable for them and everyone knows it. Do your day times highs ever get above 30 C? It doesn't matter how large you yard is if its cold and overcast for 11 months of every year.

What species would you suggest for my climate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should be small enough to house indoors during winter and inclement weather, and something that tolerates cooler temperatures better. Any of the Testudo species would work. If you made a large 4x8 foot closed chamber, you could keep a cherry head red foot or Elongata if you want something more tropical. Hingeback would work too. Box turtle. Star tortoises. There are many options that would be more practical to deal with in your climate. Using a large closed chamber will make it easy to maintain the correct conditions and temperatures for any species. A large closed chamber for an adult sulcata would need to be a 20x20 meter building with heated floors, and warm tropical temperatures in it all year long.

Lee01

Ireland
Should be small enough to house indoors during winter and inclement weather, and something that tolerates cooler temperatures better. Any of the Testudo species would work. If you made a large 4x8 foot closed chamber, you could keep a cherry head red foot or Elongata if you want something more tropical. Hingeback would work too. Box turtle. Star tortoises. There are many options that would be more practical to deal with in your climate. Using a large closed chamber will make it easy to maintain the correct conditions and temperatures for any species. A large closed chamber for an adult sulcata would need to be a 20x20 meter building with heated floors, and warm tropical temperatures in it all year long.
Thank you so much for your time. I'll look into the tortoises you mentioned and see which would suit me. Thanks again!

Sa Ga

MN

Kid: I want a sulcata.
Tom: Then move.
Kid: Ok, fix up the spare room!
Oh, Tom! Lol. You have the grace of a drunken ballerina! Are you like this in person? You must be a real character!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, Tom! Lol. You have the grace of a drunken ballerina! Are you like this in person? You must be a real character!
Its even better in person with all the intonations and enthusiasm! So much of my humor just doesn't translate into the typed word.

Bee62

Germany
Tom requests me to move to a more suitable climate too.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: @Tom ;)

Bee62

Germany
Ahahahaha honestly I agree with him I wish I was in a more suitable climate?
I know a seller who sold me my aldabra tortoises. I think he shipps worldwide. He is on Facebook. Look for "Reptilia24". You can ask him if he can shipp a sulcata baby tortoise to you.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you alot but I'm gonna think it over and take what Tom said into consideration.
The seller I mentioned sells all species of tortoises. Maybe you fell in love with another species that is easier to keep in your climate. Star tortoises are my favorite ones. They are so beautiful and get not as big as a sulcata.

Lee01

Ireland
The seller I mentioned sells all species of tortoises. Maybe you fell in love with another species that is easier to keep in your climate. Star tortoises are my favorite ones. They are so beautiful and get not as big as a sulcata.
Yes I was looking at all other species of tortoises, Two tortoises that caught my eye was Star and Leopard. They both look beautiful, So I'm trying to research and see which one would best suit me. Any suggestions?

Bee62

Germany
Look how big sulcata tortoises grow in only 4 years ! And they are still not fully grown. The water dish is 50 x 45 cm big. They don`t fit in the tub any longer.....2020-01-18__16-06-47.png

2020-01-18__16-07-46.png

2020-01-18__16-11-50.png

2020-04-08__23-32-54.png