Hey everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatamoros

5 Year Member
So Im new.

Everyone can call me jester and my turtle is named squishy after finding nemo. He is a greek tortoise and Ive had him for about a year and a half. In August will mark two year anniversary.

Some questions I have are is bok choy ok for a primary food. He gets it quite often because he loves it. But I just read on a site that it should be avoided because it blocks calcium absorption.

Also, how do you know if your tortoise is pyramiding.

This is my first tortoise and I know I have much to learn so any information or advice you have to give is welcomed.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO!! :D We love to see pictures! I don't keep Greeks, so I am sure someone will be along to answer your questions! Glad you found the forum!! :p

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello Jester and welcome to th forum. Squishy is a great name! Although I have african tortoises, our herp vet really is pro bok choy. The natural diet of grasses and weeds are used as a staple, then the bok choy is added, as it too is high in fiber. My belief has always been that giving them a variety/assortment within their diet is best and not giving the same thing everyday as far as commercial foods, unless of course, it's the natural environment foods like grasses/weeds/flowers/cactus. Our graze daily on fresh grass and weeds. I wouldn't avoid the bok choy at all and would continue to feed that, but I wouldn't use it as a sole staple to eating. What else does he enjoy eating along with the bok choy? Do you have any pictures of him? You can see by looking at him if he has any pyramiding. To better help you, would you mind telling us about his setup? Again, Welcome!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hello and welcome

What Greek tort do you have?

I never give bok Choy to my torts, they have a very varied diet.

They also have a cuttlefish in for them to chomp on it when ever they want.

Pyramiding can be cause by over feeding causing rapid growth or it can be from lack of calcium or proper diet.

You can tell straight the way if your tort is starting to pyramid.

Love to see some pics..:D

Squirtle Time

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome. Squishy is a great name. I just got my first tort a couple of weeks ago and I have gotten a lot of help on this site, I'm sure if you post a picture, people will know immediately if Squishy is pyramiding.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jester:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

I feed my tortoise bok choy, but only once in a while.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Jester! I believe in a diet with lots of variety, that doesn't mean every meal has to have a variety, so you can feed all of a bunch of whatever you might have (or what is currently available in your store or yard). So you could feed the bok choy this week, but then I would wait a month or two before giving it again. I just would not have it as the staple or main part of the diet.

Is the carapace (top shell) looking smooth on your tortoise or is it getting raised scutes (the sections that make up the carapace)? Or are you just being more proactive and worrying about the possibilities?

Glad you have decided to join us and are continuing to want to learn more. I really like seeing that! I don't think any of us know it all nor can any of us afford to stop trying to learn more.

Once more, welcome!:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.