Hey All! Tortoise pair name suggestions

EmmyJoYo

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I'm getting a pair of hatchling sulcata tortoises soon and would like some name suggestions. I like Itsy and Bitsy but was wondering if you guys could think of others we might like better :) thank you. Tips also welcomed. I will post their enclosure when I finish it for your guys' opinions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm getting a pair of hatchling sulcata tortoises soon and would like some name suggestions. I like Itsy and Bitsy but was wondering if you guys could think of others we might like better :) thank you. Tips also welcomed. I will post their enclosure when I finish it for your guys' opinions.
They should never live in pairs. Groups of juveniles can sometimes get along, but not pairs. Are you planning on housing them separately?

I'm always glad when someone posts BEFORE getting their tortoise. It give us the chance to prevent another tragedy. Where are you getting your tortoises? Are you aware that most breeders don't start them correctly, and the result is death weeks or months later? If they are telling you its okay to buy a pair, then anything else they are telling you is suspect. Most of the care info given for this species is wrong. Its the same old wrong stuff that has been repeated for decades.

Please read these BEFORE you buy from anyone:

Only buy a baby for someone who starts them mostly indoors in warm humid enclosures with damp substrate, soaks daily, and introduces them to a wide variety of weeds and grass. Don't buy from someone who leaves them outside all day, keeps them dry, doesn't soak daily, or feeds them lettuce.

Here is the correct care info, in case you haven't seen this yet:

I hope the time I've spent typing this saves you from an all too common heartbreaking situation.

EmmyJoYo

Illinois
They should never live in pairs. Groups of juveniles can sometimes get along, but not pairs. Are you planning on housing them separately?

I'm always glad when someone posts BEFORE getting their tortoise. It give us the chance to prevent another tragedy. Where are you getting your tortoises? Are you aware that most breeders don't start them correctly, and the result is death weeks or months later? If they are telling you its okay to buy a pair, then anything else they are telling you is suspect. Most of the care info given for this species is wrong. Its the same old wrong stuff that has been repeated for decades.

Please read these BEFORE you buy from anyone:

Only buy a baby for someone who starts them mostly indoors in warm humid enclosures with damp substrate, soaks daily, and introduces them to a wide variety of weeds and grass. Don't buy from someone who leaves them outside all day, keeps them dry, doesn't soak daily, or feeds them lettuce.

Here is the correct care info, in case you haven't seen this yet:

I hope the time I've spent typing this saves you from an all too common heartbreaking situation.

Hello! First of all, I want to thank you extremely, this really means a lot. I do plan on housing them separately eventually, but keeping them together at first. What's your view on a two story tortoise house? There would be a gradual sloped ramp so they can get up to the second story. I have a plan for a 6.5' W x 7' L x 2.5' H tortoise house. I plan to duplicate the bottom layer for the top layer. If it were two stories tall, I would be able to block the slope off and house them separately as well. I am moving to southern Florida sometime in early next year so it doesn't need to last them forever. I am getting the tortoises from a source i have seen recommended on here, but I will private message you about that if it's okay.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Two years ago, I bought a pair.. I didn’t join the forum until after said pair was bought. They WILL bully each other. And then two years later you will have to build two yards.. not enclosures but whole yards. And two heated night boxes... it’s not cheap... or easy... I just want you to be prepared. Nothing wrong with two or even three or four as long as they are all cared for properly... you will need lots of space and a fair amount of $ for them... good luck!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Please understand...it's not that we are criticizing you...we are trying to keep 2 tortoises from dying. Sulcata hatchings aren't very tough for animals who will grow up to be prehistoric bull dozers...and the way they were hatched out and cared for until adoption really can define their future. Read Tom's post over and over, print it out and hang it up and read it some more. You will need to be mama and doctor and teacher to these small beings...their very lives depend on you...here's one of my torts002.JPG

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Chuck Norris and Delores the Tortoise.