He's one strong RT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucymay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I thought I'd share a crazy experience with all of you...

I have 4 Russians, they all live in a very large outdoor enclosure. However one of them (Pasha, the youngest) has his own room since when we got him last year the other 3 were biting him. The other 3 get along really well, no fighting at all.

The 'rooms' are separated by a railroad tie and bricks all around.

This morning when I went to feed them, I noticed the bricks around the railroad tie (on both sides) were dislodged and it looked like a hole was dug. I started to look for all the boys and was amazed that all 4 were on one side (there are lots of tunnels and hills). I couldn't believe Pasha could move bricks and dig under the tie and then up again, moving another brick to get out on the other side!

I kept them together today to see how they behave and they were okay. I'll keep watch over them to make sure they don't fight. Pasha is now their size.

Sorry for rambling on, I know this was a long story but I had to share it and knew only other Tort lovers would understand!! Thanks for listening.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Wow! That's really interesting! Sounds like he wanted to be with the others :)

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
Haha sounds like he wanted to socialize! Haha what a strong tort:)

Sean Lee, and Big mama my Russian Tortoises[TURTLE][TWO HEARTS]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No bricks nor ties will stop a determined tort....just time will tell how quickly he gets his way...:D

Lucymay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Update on Pasha, our strong RT!

He might be strong but he is still being bullied by the others so we had to move him back into his own room. We put the bricks back too. I guess we'll see if he goes digging again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All males LucyMay? That's interesting. I wonder why the three co-mingle just fine, but won't tolerate "the other guy".

Tortoise strength and determination never ceases to amaze me.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: He's one strong RT!!

Tom said:
All males LucyMay? That's interesting. I wonder why the three co-mingle just fine, but won't tolerate "the other guy"

I'd love to know more!
I just met a pair of males that do great together but won't allow a particular 3rd male to join them. Trying to understand "Russian relationships" is interesting to me. I'd love to study the dynamics of a bachelor group....maybe someday.
Anyway, would you be interested in sharing details? I'd be interested in hearing :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Lucymay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Team Gomberg said:
Tom said:
All males LucyMay? That's interesting. I wonder why the three co-mingle just fine, but won't tolerate "the other guy"

I'd love to know more!
I just met a pair of males that do great together but won't allow a particular 3rd male to join them. Trying to understand "Russian relationships" is interesting to me. I'd love to study the dynamics of a bachelor group....maybe someday.
Anyway, would you be interested in sharing details? I'd be interested in hearing :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Yes, they're all males. Maybe the relationship is formed by age?? We had one (Yuri) then several months later we got the other 2 (Nicki & Igor). Those 3 have always been together, never fought.

We bought Pasha 3 years after that, and he was much smaller in size than any of the others even from when they were first bought. We didn't realize that until they were all next to each other. So Pasha must have been much younger to begin with.

Any questions - feel free to ask.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Team Gomberg said:
I'd love to know more!

Sent from my TFOapp

Me too, I would love to learn more.
I have 3 males I purchased who all lived together in a small aquarium @ a pet store. I was assured that they never fought and got along well. This was not true all. The two smaller torts seem to get along just fine, they do retreat to their own corners and don’t exactly mingle but they don’t bite, hiss or give each other grief. If I put the older one in he attacks as soon as they cross his sight. He is so aggressive I have to keep him separated at all times.
Needless to say the smaller torts are now as big as the “bigger” one…I think he was not allowing them to eat and causing them stress. I am so happy I rescued them!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Lucymay, thanks for being open.

Can you share about how the are housed? Indoors/outdoors, pen size, maybe pictures of it?

(since tone can't be determined online I'll say it openly. I'm not inquiring to critique to you at all. I want details to see if I can notice any trends that occur in the cases where male housing is successful)
:)

Sent from my TFOapp

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've got a 4.4 group that live in a huge outdoor enclosure. They all get along just fine. Sometimes the females will show a little aggression towards another female over a tasty bit of weed found growing, but other than that everyone, males included, get on just fine.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: He's one strong RT!!

Cowboy_Ken said:
I've got a 4.4 group that live in a huge outdoor enclosure. They all get along just fine. Sometimes the females will show a little aggression towards another female over a tasty bit of weed found growing, but other than that everyone, males included, get on just fine.

cowboy, I've definitely looked at your group and the pen they live in. :) I think your environment (size, layout, plant growth) is a contributing factor.
Hoping lucymay will share about her enclosure so I can see if there are some similarities.

Im finding more than a few cases where Russians housed outside in large, heavily planted pens have fairly good success at being housed in groups. Regardless of gender. However, I also know of a case where 1 female would seek out to harass the other 2 females regardless of the conditions I described above.
Again, just wanting to know more :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The funnest part for me, is 3 females bunk together, and everyone else has they're own, “special" spot. It's easy to count heads in the evening with this information.

Lucymay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Team Gomberg said:
Lucymay, thanks for being open.

Can you share about how the are housed? Indoors/outdoors, pen size, maybe pictures of it?

(since tone can't be determined online I'll say it openly. I'm not inquiring to critique to you at all. I want details to see if I can notice any trends that occur in the cases where male housing is successful)
:)

Sent from my TFOapp

They are always outdoors except when they hibernate. I will take some photos and post later today.

We live in So. CA.

Lucymay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Here are some photos of their enclosure, it is 15' x 10'. I have lots more photos... if you want them let me know :)Tort Pen 2013.JPGTort Pen.JPG3 Torts Room.JPGPashas Room.JPGIMG_0007.JPG2012-09 Yuri-NIcki -2.JPGIMG_1329.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Very nice! Thank you for sharing.
very helpful and means a lot :D

Now I see what you mean about him moving the bricks...he is strong! Lol

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.