He's back

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
Very handsome male eastern you have found there. Hopefully he is your new neighborh and you can see him on a daily.

JaxFLBoxTurtles

Jacksonville, FL
It is so cool seeing a wild box turtle in your backyard. I just recently started seeing a wild Florida Box Turtle in my backyard (the 1 in my avatar pic) and she even ended up laying eggs next to my house. I ended up attracting her a few weeks ago by accident by leaving a brush pile of sticks in my backyard. I left the sticks there and now I see her every few days either early in the morning or after a hard rain. If you would like to keep him around I would do as tortdad suggested above and leave him a snack, and you could also try leaving a pile of sticks in the yard. I made a thread about how I stumbled onto attracting box turtles this way, which you can check out if you like. Someone replied and suggested that it was because the brush pile attracts bugs which is like a buffet for box turtles lol.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
That is just so cool!! What a nice looking little fella!

19meyek

5 Year Member
Lima, OH
If only there was a way to make a box that is raccoon safe in the brush pile that he might go into…
I could just put the brush pile near my Basset Hound, he will trap the raccoon in his dog house, lol

JaxFLBoxTurtles

Jacksonville, FL
I could just put the brush pile near my Basset Hound, he will trap the raccoon in his dog house, lol

I live on a wild life preserve and I have raccoon's in my backyard almost every night getting into my trash cans. There is about 30 or so houses that are on the North edge of the preserve so the raccoon's are always out getting into peoples trash. There are also a bunch of wild cats that do the same thing, but I still see the turtle on a regular basis and she's always around the brush pile. I know this works for FL Box Turtles b/c I ended up accidentally attracting a pet box turtle at my parents house that we hadn't seen in over 15 yrs by leaving some limbs in the yard until trash day (read the full story on my thread about this). But I didn't know that raccoon's ate or would bother turtles so I guess the 1 living in my yard has a good hiding spot at night ;)

But yes, your hound will have no problem keeping a raccoon away! lol

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'm absolutely fascinated that you have a wild Eastern around Lima. It really is rare. Just too cool!

JaxFLBoxTurtles

Jacksonville, FL

19meyek

5 Year Member
Lima, OH
I just noticed that there are a few wild blackberries growing right in front of him on the second pic. Do you have more growing in your yard? Because her in FL we have wild blackberries growing everywhere and box turtles will enjoy some fresh berries so that could also be attracting him into your yard for an easy snack

We have wild black RASPBERRIES :) all along the fence, field, and a patch beside our wild mulberry tree

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
We have wild black RASPBERRIES :) all along the fence, field, and a patch beside our wild mulberry tree

What side of Lima are you located if you don't mind me asking? I see wild blackberries back at the Bird Sanctuary off of State Route 117 just passed the Fairgrounds on the East side. With great cover, a marsh, and plentiful wild berries, I always thought there has to be Box Turtles around somewhere but of course I've never seen one.