He's Arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So 2pm hit and I still did not recieve my new friend. After making a fuss for 30min UPS set up a meeting spot to pick up my lil guy from the driver. They explained that they did not know it was supposed to be delivered by 10:30 no later than 12. I got him and gave him a warm bath as soon as I took him out to kinda wake him up. He is beautiful colored and almost mirrored I love the dual racing stripes on his tail. He ate a few pieces of collard greens and a bite of strawberry. He is now in his humid hide adjusting. Here are a few of the many pictures Im sure I will be posting. I named him Scooter.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
RE: Hes Arrived

He's a stunner! I can barely see the dual strips,but I know what you mean!
He also has red heals! Niiiice

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA

I love him already. Scooter he's adorable. Congratulations and I'm glad you're so in love with him already. :D Can't wait for more pictures. :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado

Wow, those are some impressive matching markings on li'l Scooter there. :D

Congratulations on getting him home safe and sound.

Chapter 2: The Adventures of Scooter in His Comfy Enclosure. ;)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento

Free nanny service...any time you go on vacation..to the store.. heck i will pay you!!!

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona

dreadyA said:
He's a stunner! I can barely see the dual strips,but I know what you mean!
He also has red heals! Niiiice

I know the picture came out kinda fuzzy. Hes got red heals and thighs. Ill get some better ones after I let him rest a little while its been along trip

evabug1

5 Year Member

Congratulations on your new baby! I love Scooter's markings.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

Wow...He is gorgeous Shaun!!! He has so much color. I love his little red heels too. Congrats to you ...and Lil' Scooter too! He is a beautifu Lil' tort.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX

That is a great looking baby, congrats! Love the racing stripes, lol.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona

I miscalculated his age he is exactly 10 days old today. He hatched Feb 16th. I hope he will do alright from the stress of being shipped. Any extra special for babies this young that is different from the couple month old ones?. I would be heart broken should something happen to this magnificent creature. Terry your input would be very helpful as you are probably the most qualified to answer this question :)

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB

Defiant said:
I miscalculated his age he is exactly 10 days old today. He hatched Feb 16th. I hope he will do alright from the stress of being shipped. Any extra special for babies this young that is different from the couple month old ones?. I would be heart broken should something happen to this magnificent creature. Terry your input would be very helpful as you are probably the most qualified to answer this question :)

I woulda thunk he was older than 10 days by far. More like 2ish months... maybe? Unless he's a HUGE hatchling who snorked his yolk back fast. But I'm no expert by any stretch. Healthy lookin'. I hear the best thing for youngin's is to stick to a schedule and leave them be for the most part. Congrats!

chpete79

5 Year Member

Neohippy said:
Defiant said:

I woulda thunk he was older than 10 days by far. More like 2ish months... maybe? Unless he's a HUGE hatchling who snorked his yolk back fast. But I'm no expert by any stretch. Healthy lookin'. I hear the best thing for youngin's is to stick to a schedule and leave them be for the most part. Congrats!
OR the owner may have small hands....haha

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN

what they said, beautiful, and he ate already! love the lighter coloring.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago

WOW!
He's beautiful!!!

But he absorbed his yolk sac AND is eating on his own within 16 days of hatching?????
Isn't that unusually fast?

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona

I have no clue but I got his "just hatched" picture on Feb 16. Then I got his cleaned up one when his yolk was almost gone. They said he was eating mazuri. He is just under 2 inches. Still has his egg tooth.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK

Chewbecca said:
AND is eating on his own within 16 days of hatching?????

Why is that a shock? Do tortoises need to be hand fed for a while?

Defiant said:
Still has his egg tooth.

Whats an egg tooth? Pictures?

xxx

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago

Well, I am so far from being an expert, so hopefully Terry K. will chime in.

I thought it was a no-no to ship a tortoise that still had its egg tooth? I could be wrong, but something in my head is ringing that the egg tooth should be gone before a tortoise is shipped to its new home.

And, yeah, I thought two weeks was kind of early for the yolk sac absorption AND eating on its own.
But as I said, I'm NO expert by ANY means, so I could be completely off on this.
I mean, your tort IS eating on its own, correct?

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona

Kymiie said:
Chewbecca said:
AND is eating on his own within 16 days of hatching?????

Why is that a shock? Do tortoises need to be hand fed for a while?

Defiant said:
Still has his egg tooth.

Whats an egg tooth? Pictures?

xxx

Kymiie, you can see the little white spec on the center of his face? thats the egg tooth. What they use to get out of the shell. It eventually falls off. I just don't know when.

Chewbecca, he took a few bites of collard greens and a little bite of a strawberry other than that hes just been sleeping. I put a little bowl of more greens in his humid hide. See if he eats or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.