Hermes the Hermanns from Essex, UK

TankLizardHermes

I was under the impression that torts needed to be a little bigger, he's barely (if at all) palm size yet! My daughter (1 and a half) keeps asking me about 'hermes daw-tiss' as well, he's a very much loved member of the family already! She isn't allowed even in the room with him unsupervised of course!
Will definitely go and get a ceramic thingy tomorrow along with a thermostat and some more thermometers too

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I was under the impression that torts needed to be a little bigger, he's barely (if at all) palm size yet! My daughter (1 and a half) keeps asking me about 'hermes daw-tiss' as well, he's a very much loved member of the family already! She isn't allowed even in the room with him unsupervised of course!
Will definitely go and get a ceramic thingy tomorrow along with a thermostat and some more thermometers too
A digital temp gun is great as it is perfect for spot checking all the areas, I bought mine from Amazon about £10 - much easier than trying to read the other sort.

TankLizardHermes

So, the warm side is now at 95 and the cool side is 82, which as far as I have read is pretty optimal for a wee babe. Also, worth noting that i saw 2 Hermanns at the sealife centre today and it made me sad because they have really really bumpy shells :( I didn't know about pyramiding in tortoise shells before I joined here - turns out they were kept in bad conditions before and were rescued, poor torts :(

TankLizardHermes

Ah he tipped right under his light today! I *think* I got to him quickly as he was still thrashing about and making little scared noises (my poor baby!) So now he's having a little bath to rehydrate him and once I'm done I'm going to try and work out what he tipped on :(
Do baby torts tip easily? We actually picked him out because he tipped in his water bowl and he seemed a bit daft - could it be a sign of an issue? I can't see how he tipped, the table is flat!

Attachments

• 20151110_152015.jpg
    20151110_152015.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Ah he tipped right under his light today! I *think* I got to him quickly as he was still thrashing about and making little scared noises (my poor baby!) So now he's having a little bath to rehydrate him and once I'm done I'm going to try and work out what he tipped on :(
Do baby torts tip easily? We actually picked him out because he tipped in his water bowl and he seemed a bit daft - could it be a sign of an issue? I can't see how he tipped, the table is flat!

cute little one you have there:) , if you post up some pics of your enclosure it'll help members advise any little tweeks or flip hazards

TankLizardHermes

I've posted a couple further up the thread if you want to take a look :)
He was flipped on the flat slate though so I'm not sure how that happened really!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
oh yeah, sorry :/. perhaps he/she has been trying to climb at the corner?