Hermans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquie

5 Year Member
I have two hermans, they are 18 months old, when we got them we were told they were both females, they have started fighting I think, always finding one on its back! And one is growing bigger than the other, do I have to change their names from Thelma and Louise to Thelma and Louie ? :p am new to the site so hope I have done this right:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Love your name. :D We would need to see pictures to even take a guess at genders. It may still be two females (or two males) with one simply becoming the bigger more dominate one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jacquie!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's fairly rare, but not completely unheard of, that two female Hermann's would fight. The occurance is even more rare between two females of that age. It might also take place between a male and female, but again rare at that age. It's even a bit young, but not unheard of for males that young to begin fighting.

At less than 18 months of age there is no way that whoever you got them from could definitively determine their gender.

jacquie

5 Year Member
:)
jacquie said:
I have two hermans, they are 18 months old, when we got them we were told they were both females, they have started fighting I think, always finding one on its back! And one is growing bigger than the other, do I have to change their names from Thelma and Louise to Thelma and Louie ? :p am new to the site so hope I have done this right:p

Thanks jacqui, both little ones never stay still they rampage round the pen like demented tortoises:p

jacquie

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
It's fairly rare, but not completely unheard of, that two female Hermann's would fight. The occurance is even more rare between two females of that age. It might also take place between a male and female, but again rare at that age. It's even a bit young, but not unheard of for males that young to begin fighting.

At less than 18 months of age there is no way that whoever you got them from could definitively determine their gender.

I bought them from a breeder so took his word they were female, should I separate them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Yes you should separate them.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Are you positive they are fighting/ramming each other, thus one landing on their back? Is it possibly that there is an area in the setup causing one to tip over?

Status
Not open for further replies.