Hermans tortoise cut on neck

nhal8148

Hi, I have had my hermans tortoise for 4 months now and he's 2 years old.
I currently keep him in a vivarium with heating light and uv lamp. I allow him out as much as possible as he gets restless stuck in the Viv.
He's feeding on general kale, white cabbage, cress, dandelion ect and I use a calcium substrate on top which I was given from the pet shop.

Recently I have noticed he has a cut on the side of his neck which I thought was improving but then it got worse again. The vet advised me to leave it be for the time being and see how it went.
He has quite sharp nails so I wasn't sure if this happened whilst he was cutting his food or rubbing his face. I didn't want to treat unless necessary. He hasn't stopped eating and he's still walking around find. So no change in personality.
I have inserted an image below.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393938863.588958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would be sure to keep it clean. Others more experienced with these type of things will have more advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This usually happens when a tortoise stands on his back legs on the side of the viv and accidentally slips quickly down, not having enough time to pull his head in, the edge of the carapace cuts the neck. It is hard to heal because it keeps happening over and over. If you could fix it so he's not trying to climb to escape, it has a better chance of healing.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, if you run your finger around the edges of the shell and feel roughness, you can EVER EVER so gently take like a ladies nail buffer block and smooth the sharpest edge...

Also, have to mention;

kale, white cabbage, cress, dandelion

These are all very high in oxalates and combined as a regular part of the diet can cause problems....each individually as part of a rotating diet are great....especially the dandelion.

I use a calcium substrate on top

What does this mean? Do you mean a calcium supplement? or do you mean calci sand? The foods you offer here are already good sources of calcium and I would be hesitant on adding additional calcium in the form of a supplement....too much calcium can be bad....just sharing what stuck out to me....also, do you offer daily soaks for the tort?