Hermanns Tortoise with pink hue on Shell - bacterial infection?

EmmaE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hello All,

My tortoise has a pink tint on her shell and I fear that this may be something serious. I wanted to post here to get some feed back. She has been behaving normally and eating. She generally poops but it has been about 2-3 days since she last pooped now.

Details:
- Hermanns Tortoise - Female Dalmatian from a local breeder
- Size: About 6 inches from tip of her shell to tail end
- Home: 4 feet 10 inches by 2 feet 4 inches
- Substrate: Coconut Coir

- Temperature and Humidity: This can't be accurate as the readers are too old. New readers will be coming in the mail but in the meantime. Lighting: I use a ExoTerra SolarGlo 125 watt for the heat. This lamp is on from 7:00am to 8:00 pm because of the recent time change. The last time we measured the temperature it was around 93 degrees F but that may have changed. For the cool end I think it is normally around 65, but I will update once my temperature laser comes. Humidity is really a mystery because my reader broke at 45 but I think it may possibly be the same. Her coconut coir remains moist on one end and then I let it be drier on the other end. i also have a humidifier which I have run but I don't do that consistently because until i get an accurate reading, I don't want to do too much.

- Diet: I use endive, chicory, romaine, cucumber, and Mazuri small-tortoise chow for the most part. I rotate between these or mix some together ('taco tuesdays' of Mazuri chow in endive for example) sometimes mixing in some dandelion or some pre-moistened mountain rose herbs (strawberry leaf, echinacea, etc.) She has fresh water every day in a little bowl and fresh water every day in her "pool" (dont worry, not too much water is in here, but enough that she can crawl in and soak herself). I also soak her every once in a while, like once every 2 weeks. It was weekly when she was 0-1.5 years old, but since then she drinks water and I added that soaking pool. That said, let me know your thoughts on that! I know different folks have different ideas on it.

- Recent changes: I moved on January 11th to a new home. It is the same area so no drastic weather change, and her enclosure is the same, but this home may be more dry or dusty than my old home. Also, I had upped the amount of Mazuri I had been giving her from 2 times a week to around every other day or every 2 days. Also in the photos of the enclosure, I added the Bigger wooden tunnel today. I had not had it in her home before because I work away from my home and if she were to flip over, I wouldn't be able to assist.

Question:

Would anyone be able to take a look and let me know what may be happening or provide any advice? Please let me know if you need met to clarify anything as well. Happy to do so.

Photos:

IMG_9872.jpegIMG_9871.jpegIMG_9870.jpegIMG_9869.jpegIMG_9868.jpegIMG_9867.jpegIMG_9866.jpegIMG_9865-1.jpegIMG_9864.jpeg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise is beautiful. Hermanni is such a pretty species! I really don't think there's anything wrong with that pink hue that's going on there. It sometimes means septicemia, but septicemia normally shows up first in the growth seams.

I do have some helpful hints for you regarding the enclosure though (take it or leave it, as you've kept the tortoise this way for long enough that he's used to it and it works for him)

Change out those reptile bowls and use instead a rough tile for feeding and a clay plant saucer for water. Sink the saucer down into the substrate, then when he's inside the sloping sides are much easier to climb out of.

Buy some aquarium plastic plants that have a weighted base to 'plant' around inside the enclosure. I gives him a safer feel being not so wide open.

You only need one waterer and one feeding tile.

I have changed from using the Mercury Vapor Bulbs to using the T5 long tube fluorescent UVB bulbs instead. I like it much better. I found the MVB to be too desiccating for the tortoise's shell and body. Then for heat you can use either a CHE or a RHP (ceramic heat emitter/radiant heat panel).

This is a lot to change out all at once. Since he's used to his enclosure like it is, if you want to make the changes I suggest, do it a little at a time, as you can afford it.

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
Hi @Yvonne G ,

Thank you so much for the feedback! I appreciate it and will start introducing changes! I also am growing some wheatgrass that I plan to plant (small sections) in the home for some additional excitement/snacking.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Best,
Emma