Hermann's tortoise UVB light and calcium

chin_lee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA state Pacific Northwest
I will suggest the following:
1] change bulb to mvb that has uvb and put it closer to a corner
2] remove everything in there and fill it with 1 inch of substrate that's been recommended in previous posts. As it gets older you will need more substrate and bigger enclosure but for now that will work
3] put the decorations back in except the water dish. Go to hardware or nursery and buy a 3 to 4 inch terracotta saucer that is only about 1/2 inch high on the inside. Depress the saucer into the substrate so it's almost flush with the substrate and fill it with water for its water bowl. You can use that water bowl later when it gets bigger.
4] put that ceramic pic into a corner away from the bulb and use it as your feeding station. Put your foods there to feed
Research the foods you can buy at grocery stores or collect from the wild. As far as commercial foods I would stick with mazuri LS mixed with zoomed grassland mix. My Hermans will eat that in 3:1 ratio. I usually sprinkle calcium to that mix as well.
Good luck. Pls do your best to follow advice or suggestions. Your tortoise may not be as healthy as you would like in the long run under your current conditions and care.

Touga_and_Me

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi I am just a little confused i have a 4 nearly 5 year old tortoise the problem is that the uvb bulbs i keep using don’t last long and they are quite expensive could you send me a link to witch uvb bulb you guys use thank you