Hermann's Tortoise Shell and Eyes

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My Hermann's tortoise is experiencing some shell cracking and theres a small hole thats really concerning me. The hole is making me think shell rot, but the humidity is very low for the winter, so I feel like that doesn't make sense. I dont usually soak him, but he has a large water bowl in his enclosure with about an inch of water that he always has access to. Is the damage perhaps from parasites or something from not changing his water often enough? Also he has a little bit of eye discharge. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it because otherwise his eyes look bright. He is active as ever and he has a good appetite. Please help. I'm worried about my baby. I can take him to the vet if I need to, but money is a bit tight so I'd rather not if I don't have to.

NicoEyes_zpsece2d5f9.png

NicoShellProblem_zps5635b2a5.png

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Not sure about the shell, but he looks superrr dry. I would start soaking if I was you

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Okay, I'll start giving him additional soaks. Any other advice guys? :/

Update: His eye crustys are gone. I'm guessing it was just some kind of dirt/gunk, and I was just being a paranoid mother? But I'll let you know if it comes back. I'm still very concerned about his shell though.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where did you acquire the tortoise from (pet shop/private party?). The damage looks like a prior shell rot area/injury that is healing....if you offer soaks I would be sure to keep the water warm and clean during the entire soak...

I would offer some wet type foods to offer up hydration...you can also spray his leafy greens with water to also offer another point of water intake...

Kele7710

5 Year Member
I agree looks like an old injury looks like part of my Stanley's shell after my dog decided to steal him from his tort table [POUTING FACE]

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thank you for responding! I adopted him as an adult. I don't know what his previous care was like. I've had him for a year now, and he does have evidence of shell rot from sometime before I got him but the cracking on the side seems new. Maybe its just due to dehydration. How often would you recommend the warm soaks? Maybe I'll start giving him cucumbers? I haven't been offering them because they don't have the best nutritional value, but they do have a high water content.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Stanley has a warm soak everyday, you can also spray leafy food weeds etc with water before giving them [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE]

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Okay, thank you so much everyone. Is there any cream or anything that I should think about putting on him or will the extra hydration be enough?